Cory laying on one side, not sure what to do.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

As I wrote previously in this thread, I doubt the issue is the food. Their diet is extremely important, and you seem to be on track with that now, but I would not assign these deaths to the initial food. There was an issue with ammonia and nitrite previously, and these things can weaken the fish to the point they later react and die. Ammonia and nitrite are now zero (post #13). Nitrate at 15 is higher than I would like, but again this is not tyhe sole issue here, just another affecting issue. What is the nitrate in your tap water (on it own)?

I am tagging a couple of members who might have insight here. @GaryE @DoubleDutch

To me, the way the story is playing out (sadly) suggests an internal bacterial infection spreading in the fish. I don't know if you use a test kit to determine when you change water, but these things tend to happen when water changes are done without regularity.

Treatments? In Canada, we have none available without a vet. Lots of water changes might give them a chance, but once an epidemic breaks out, it's rough.

What temps are they at?

The temperature ranges between 23-24 degrees Celsius (73-75 Fahrenheit) but the fish that are acting up are remarkably thin and are not eating at all. I can do a water change today. It’s interesting that it is just the corys that are affected by this, as my cherry barbs and danios are completely fine. Is it best to just remove the fish to try and stop the spread if there is an issue within the cory?

This is an unscientific observation, but I have seen groups of Corys affected by diseases no other fish got. There is a virus and bacteria world in our tanks that we know nothing about.

The other 3 corys are eating which the 3 dead ones werent. I need a bit of advice on what to feed my ottos. I am fully aware they enjoy veg, so perhaps a little piece of cucumber. They have eaten the majority of the algae present. There is only 3 and I am planning on increasing that number to 7 or 8. Same with the corys. All other fish are enjoying the bug bites, but they are quite big and difficult to break up, but they are getting there. Thanks all for the advice.

The other 3 corys are eating which the 3 dead ones werent. I need a bit of advice on what to feed my ottos. I am fully aware they enjoy veg, so perhaps a little piece of cucumber. They have eaten the majority of the algae present. There is only 3 and I am planning on increasing that number to 7 or 8. Same with the corys. All other fish are enjoying the bug bites, but they are quite big and difficult to break up, but they are getting there. Thanks all for the advice.

Otos being herbivores will do best with a quality algae or kelp-based disk food, such as Omega One's Veggie Rounds. Cories do not need veggie foods, they cannot properly digest them, but feeding this disk once a week will do no harm, I did it for years in a tank with Farlowella, otos and cories. There is shrimp and real fish in this food that the cories will relish.

I actually made a pic of foods and who eats what in my tank for a previous post...
chrome_PEM7YYoK7u.jpg

I actually made a pic of foods and who eats what in my tank for a previous post...
View attachment 168046
Interesting that the only foods in this picture that are actually good for fish (nutrition wise and health wise) are ones that the fish don't eat. Whereas the foods that are not good are eaten. There is no better food for any fish that are carnivore or omnivore than the Bug Bites, because it is the closest to natural and does not contain stuff that fish should not eat. All of my fish, from hatchetfish to my wild cories went wild over bug bites.

the micro pellets on the top-right it's to me one of the best...literally almost everyone eats that stuff I'd say the loaches, otos and pea puffers are the ones that couldnt care for it...

Hikari doesn't list the ingredients on its website, does the package? If it does, can you tell us what's in the Micro Pellets please.

I did check the ingredients, they are listed on the US Hikari site, and they are anything but wholesome. There is no way that I would feed these, knowing what I do about fish foods.

Fish meal, krill meal, soybean meal, flaked corn, cuttlefish meal, brewers dried yeast, wheat germ meal, wheat starch, fish oil, powdered cellulose, hydrolyzed vegetable sucrose polyesters, dried seaweed meal, lecithin, DL-methionine, garlic, spirulina, astaxanthin, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, niacin, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, P-aminobenzoic acid, disodium phosphate, salt, ferrous sulfate, magnesium sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, red 3, yellow 5 (artificial colors).​

Compare to the ingredients of Bug Bites:

Ingredients: Black soldier fly larvae, salmon, wheat, green peas, potato, dicalcium phosphate, alfalfa nutrient concentrate, calcium carbonate,

DL-methionine, lecithin, choline chloride, L-lysine, vitamin E supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium L-ascorbyl-2-monophosphate, marigold extract, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, D-calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, beta-carotene, rosemary extract, riboflavin, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, inositol, folic acid, vitamin A supplement, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement. Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (%) (min) 32.0, Crude fat (%) (min) 12.0, Crude fiber (%) (max) 6.0, Moisture (%) (max) 10.0, Ash (%) (max) 9.0, Calcium (%) (min) 1.50%, Phosphorus (%) (min) 0.80%, Vitamin A (IU/kg) (min) 2,500, Vitamin D3 (IU/kg) (min) 2,400, Vitamin E (IU/kg) (min) 75.​

Sounds like children preferring burgers to 'proper' meals if the fish won't eat anything else :unsure:

Those are the same ingredients which Byron found on their US website.

Most reactions

trending

Back