Cory in five gallon?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Tempestuousfury

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I want to place a cory in my five gallon because I've got juvenile platies in there and feeding them causes a mess.

Possible reasons why they shouldn't go in:

I have ghost shrimp and a Chinese algae eater in there already. (But they don't clean well)
It's small and somewhat overcrowded (though well-aerated and cleaned weekly.
I don't think I can put in more than one, so they may feel lonely.

Any suggestions?

(I've also got a ten gallon tank, but the silver dollars keep it pretty clean and some of the fish have fin rot. Should I try putting corys in when the parasites are gone?)

Sorry m8 I'd say no to the corries - they like to be kept in groups and to be honest both your tanks are overstocked....

I don't want to sound too hard here but the silver dollars grow big and are not suited to a small tank. In addition its not advisable to mix with fish that prefer cooler temps.....

Do some more research on your fish and if possible look at getting a bigger tank

hth

:)

Temp,
I would say fine. I have only two cory cats and they are doing just fine NOT in a school. And they are approximately 3-4 years old. But if you have a ghost shrimp in there already shouldn't he be taking care of the extra food? If he can not keep up with the extra food then it maybe that the fish are being fed too much. This is JUST my opinion though....good luck.
Signed,
Sondan

Hi tempf :)

If the problem is that you are getting excess food at the bottom of the tank, try feeding less or siphoning the tank more frequently. -_-

Corys are not just garbage cleaners. They are individuals with their own needs. While they will clean up a bit their diet must be varied with worms and spirulina. And their environment must be clean, not polluted by excess food that other fish leave.

At the very least you would need to add two corys and your tank is already overcrowded. :/

Better to put the money the corys would cost toward a bigger tank. It will be worth it in the long run! :nod:

hmmmm, my cory cat has bonded with my other fish and he's the only cory cat in my tank and I've had him around 3 years. I'd consider getting more corys but I can't find out what specie he is.

RoperDoper said:
hmmmm, my cory cat has bonded with my other fish and he's the only cory cat in my tank and I've had him around 3 years. I'd consider getting more corys but I can't find out what specie he is.
Hi RoperDoper :)

Here's a link that will help you identify your cory:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ra/g_thumbs.htm

In nature, corys are schooling fish. They are peaceful, shy little things who's only defense is the "safety in numbers" that the school provides. That's why they are more comfortable and only act like their true selves when there are other corys with them.

I bought the cory anyways, though I've got a valid reason. :D My stepmom's niece is going to give me her 50 gallon, so I'll put the platies, the cory, the silver dollars, and black skirt tetras in there. I'll leave the shrimp and algae eater where they are. I'll also place two more cories in the 50 when it's set up.

What do you think?

Also, the shrimp keep dying. I removed one dead one b/f and believe I saw another one today. When I went to net it it left the net b/f I took it out of the water and I can't find it again. Would this have anything to do with the other bottom feeders?

shrimps are extremely sensitive to nitrogenous wates and heavy metals

water quality is paramount for them

peple have said that the stocking is too high and that the feeding maybe heavy handed both of these will increase nitrogenous watse's

what are you water parameters

please , dont just replace deaths, try and remedy the cause first

andrew

It was an overcrowded 5 gallon... (figures, of course)

I moved the one that i found to the 50 gallon. I have dechlorinator that removes heavy metals. Will that do?

if it works it should be fine
the shrimp seem to accumulate things like copper(in lots of neds!) and otherheavy metals and hence succumb t them easily

if you need you can get hmf to run water thru before entering aging process
or if you like soft water species then r/o , almost all fish appreciate it

Most reactions

Back