Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes the poor citizens living in merry old England stress badly when the temperature goes above 20C. I laugh every time I think about this. Over there they claim it's really hot when it's 30C in the sun. Over here it's hot when it's 40+ in the shade :)

I hate the heat, was in centreal Spain once the temp hit 36 and that was diabolical - will never go there again.

I geninely think the reason why all these people are out partying in the streets, which they were not previously, and remember the UK citizens did pretty good at staying off the streets because too many jokers pushed the PM to enforce a lockdown, is because like me, they just spent the last three months watching Americans on YouTube not obeying any form of lockdown. I watch a lot of fish channels for example, you see Nick Bingo, Paul Cuffaro, OFR, Zack Catchem et all on the streets going shopping or transporting fish around all the time. The perception given is lockdown is not important. Mind you death rate is very very low now, in the UK. However sadly we lost like 43k lives so far.

I hate the heat, was in centreal Spain once the temp hit 36 and that was diabolical - will never go there again.
You will probably want to avoid Coober Pedy in Australia then. It's pretty hot there and regularly hits 50C+. It's so hot there, everyone lives underground.

What's the humidity like in Australia, Colin? As I type, the Met Office weather forecast says my town has 74% humidity predicted between 11 am and midday. But it's also predicting a nice cool temp of 21 deg C.

My great aunt who had emigrated to Canada (Kirkland Lake, Ontario) visited the UK during a nice warm May and she was cold all the time she was here. She talked of houses on stilts because of the snow, wearing snow shoes and fur coats to go out in winter in Canada but was cold in the UK in a warm spring.

Last edited:
You will probably want to avoid Coober Pedy in Australia then. It's pretty hot there and regularly hits 50C+. It's so hot there, everyone lives underground.

just curious, yesterday I spent a lot of time layingon my bed because I didn't want to move around adding to the heat. I didn't appreciate the normal cotton cover of my linnen, I just wondered do you have any special materials that are breathable that feel cooler you use? Not sure I can get a string hammock in my bedroom lol

just curious, yesterday I spent a lot of time layingon my bed because I didn't want to move around adding to the heat. I didn't appreciate the normal cotton cover of my linnen, I just wondered do you have any special materials that are breathable that feel cooler you use? Not sure I can get a string hammock in my bedroom lol
Cotton - and of course, silk, but natural silk would be phenomenally expensive.

Its what you are used to. My mother used to turn on the electric blanket if the night time temperature dropped to 30. I don't think I have a single picture of her in the UK where she is not wearing a coat, even on days like today.

And for those not in the UK wondering why them geordies are so 'ard: @essjays forecast today is 12 degrees cooler than what I just measured in the shade (24 degrees for those using archaic measurements) :rofl: . I for one am looking forward to the thunderstorms forecast this evening.

What's the humidity like in Australia, Colin? As I type, the Met Office weather forecast says my town has 74% humidity predicted between 11 am and midday. But it's also predicting a nice cool temp of 21 deg C.
The humidity here is usually pretty low. Sometimes in summer it goes up and when it's 40C and humid, it's pretty unpleasant. But with low humidity it's not as bad.

-----------------
just curious, yesterday I spent a lot of time laying on my bed because I didn't want to move around adding to the heat. I didn't appreciate the normal cotton cover of my linen, I just wondered do you have any special materials that are breathable that feel cooler you use? Not sure I can get a string hammock in my bedroom lol
Just plain old cotton.

If the heat is really bad, get a portable room airconditioner and run that in the room, or get a fan and have that blowing. You can wet a tea towel and put that on the front of the fan (use clips or pegs to hold the towel on the fan). As the air blows over the damp towel it cools the air down. Spray water on the towel regularly and it helps cool things down.

Try to reduce the number of electrical appliances in the room because they all produce lots of heat.

Open the house up at night (if it's safe to do so), and let the house cool down overnight. Then close it up during the day before it gets hot outside.

I think humidity is part of it. Heat and high humidity is more difficult to cope with than heat and low humidity. A school friend who married an American and went to live just outside Chicago complained that she felt as though she'd just got out of the shower all the time she was back visiting.

Its what you are used to. My mother used to turn on the electric blanket if the night time temperature dropped to 30. I don't think I have a single picture of her in the UK where she is not wearing a coat, even on days like today.

And for those not in the UK wondering why them geordies are so 'ard: @essjays forecast today is 12 degrees cooler than what I just measured in the shade (24 degrees for those using archaic measurements) :rofl: . I for one am looking forward to the thunderstorms forecast this evening.
Love a good thunderstorm!

I wonder if we're due for any in the NE? We didn't get them last time - plenty of rain (I love rain) but no thunder and lightening.

Teesside is predicted them 6 to 7 this evening and all tomorrow afternoon. But as we know, just because the weather is right for them doesn't mean any particular town will get one.
My husband is currently shopping in our town centre a mile away. He phoned me from the queue to say it was raining but there's not a drop here at home :)

Teesside is predicted them 6 to 7 this evening and all tomorrow afternoon. But as we know, just because the weather is right for them doesn't mean any particular town will get one.
My husband is currently shopping in our town centre a mile away. He phoned me from the queue to say it was raining but there's not a drop here at home :)
Teeside isn't us - we're Tyneside, so may not get them - but I live in hope.

It's been blooming' hot here for the last couple of days - had dogs out 5.30-ish for coolness - and the place is like tinder despite the days of rain we had a week ago.

They've now removed tomorrow's thunderstorms from Teesside's forecast but today's are still there.

Newcastle is forecast nothing today but storms 3 to 5 pm tomorrow.
Gateshead is not forecast storms
Sunderland is not forecast storms.

How can Gateshead & Newcastle be so different? I know the river between them often means different weather as it does on opposite sides of the Tees, but even so.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back