Cories flicking in sand

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

corymad

Reaction score
Hi

Some of my cories are flicking in the sand rather a lot - no rapid gill movement, no sign of gill flukes (no microscope though).

I've just lost 10 fish - some with what I believed was Ich, some with no sign of Ich or any disease but with rapid gill movement and later loss of balance. The tank is 80 (to increase life cycle of Ich) PH 6.8 GH and KH OK, no nitrite, nitrate 10ppm, cycled, sand substrata, bogwood and live plants. I treated for Ich - last meds went in yesterday (on day 6)

Has any1 out there any diagnosis? Whatever the cories have appears to be spreading. Should I just do a water change and treat for gill flukes? There's no redness around gills, no excess mucus, no fish looking ill. I've scoured the net for a solution.

Thanks 4 any help / replies

:sick:

Hi corymad

It's not likely that your corys have ich, even if your other fish might have had it. They tend to be quite resistant to it. It's not likely to be gill flukes either. :nod:

First let me ask a few questions. First, are you sure your other fish had ich? If they looked like they were sprinkled with salt they probably did. If they had patches of white stuff on them, it probably was not. Is there any sign of finrot or open sores on any of your fish?

Do you have another tank that you can use as a quarantine tank? Can you add an airstone for additional oxygenation?

Hi Inchworm

Thanks for your reply.

The Tetras looked like they had been scattered with spots like grains of sand. It could well have been sand, but the Tetras started breathing rapidly, then lost their balance and died.

I havent got a quarantine tank as three cories are breeding in my spare tank. I'm loathe to inflict this disease / parasite on them - they may end up being my only fish left at the rate fish are dying.

I added an extra airstone on day one of the problem, and the fish all look fine finwise - no sign of any infection. One Adolphi has a graze on his nose - the meds for Ich also work on fungus, so he (or she) should be OK - I think the nose problem has been caused by excessive flicking (possibly bumped into the bogwood?)

I'm really concerned at doing nothing as I don't want any more of my cories to die - I've had some for many years and they're like old friends. I believe that whatever the problem is may have been brought in by three newly aquired Adolphi cories (now 2). The cories scratching and flicking are the 2 remaining Adolphi and one really old Cory who's befriended them.

I'm at a loss how to find out whats bothering them - could a LFS take a gill scraping without hurting the fish?

Any help is really appreciated :sick:

Hi corymad :)

I suspect that your problem could be a bacterial infection. This is the most common affliction of corys and it will usually happen after conditions that are stressful to them occur.

Columnaris Flexibacter is a bacteria that is always present in a tank, but rarely effects the fish until their immune system becomes weakened by stressors such as overcrowding, sudden rise in temperature, elevated nitrate levels, uneaten food in the tank, infrequent water changes, low oxygen content in the water, and even aggressive tankmates. I would be inclined to think that the ich treatment could have had this result as well.

Columnaris is contagious and your corys might also have contracted a secondary infection from the Aeromonas bacteria. This is not unusual. Symptoms include rapid breathing, finrot, flicking, white cottony growths (often mistaken for fungus), barbel erosion, (the scrape you mentioned is most likely the beginning of this), open sores, or a generally shabby appearance.

If you must still treat your tank for ich, you will have to quarantine the corys in another tank because one of the things you need to do is reduce the temperature to no higher than 75 degrees F/ 24 degrees C. This and the addition of an airstone will slow the reproduction of the bacteria. This, and nice clean water, will do a lot for your fish.

Since you are in the UK, I cannot recommend the antibiotics that I would suggest here. The recommended medications there are usually Waterlife’s Myxazin or Interpet’s AntiFungus and Finrot. I have also heard of people treating successfully with a product made by King British.

Whatever you do, keep the water clean and fresh and treat longer than you think is really necessary. It is possible for this bacteria to develop strains that are resistant to meds, so be sure it is entirely cured before you finish treatment.

Good luck and please let me know how your corys make out. :D

Hi Inchworm

Thanks agin for replying. I'll do a 20% water change tomorrow, and go to the LFS and get the meds you suggest. Another Cardinal died today - seemed fine last night - not a mark on him - same again fast breathing, nose up.

I'll let you know how I get on :thumbs:

Sorry to hear that you lost another one. :byebye:

Water changes are important if it's a bacterial infection. Please do them liberally even if you must replace the medications.

Good luck with the treatments.

Hi Inchworm

Went to LFS on Saturday and took sick Adolphi with me. LFS did a scrape of his tail mucus and advised that there were too many bacteria (2 types). LFS said they saw Aeromonas bacteria, but no Columnaris Flexibacter. Said they weren't columnar type either - seemed reluctant to advise what other type was.

They didn't have the meds you suggested so I bought a UK equivalent called Tetra Medica General Tonic - it states it controls finrot and other bacterial infections. I did a 20% waterchange before adding the new meds. This med turned the water bright green (if that helps you know the active ingredient). The LFS advised not to do further water change for 7 days as too much meds may adversley effect the biological filter.

On Sunday, tank was still bright green and there was a minute trace of ammonia. The Adolphi (to our absolute amazement) had found enough energy to jump out of his breeding trap (kept there so we could find his dead body). He still has his abrasion but that is improving slowly. His breathing is back to normal.

I haven't done another water change in view of the slight decline in filter bacteria (and specific advice on the meds). We thought "great - on the way to hope of a healthy tank".

Tonight Peppered Cory is breathing real fast (no other sign of disease)

Any suggestions? Should I do water change now or wait 7 days, change 20% and fully re- dose as meds direct (or over medicate by replacing water and meds now)

Sorry to bother you again.

Corymad :dunno:

Hi

Though I'd post the end result of this infection / virus. to maybe help anyone else with this problem. Tetra Medica Tonic for bacterial infections seems to have worked. I didn't re- dose after a week, but did a 20% water change and hoovered the tank really well.

Thanks folks

Corymad :thumbs:

Thank you for posting a follow-up to your cory's illness. :nod:

I'll make a note of that medicine; it sounds like a good one. Have both your infected corys recovered?

You are fortunate to have such an excellent lfs. I have never heard of one who would look at bacteria to help a patron. :thumbs: But that raises the question about what kind of bacteria it is. Anyway, it responded to the meds and that's what matters. :D

Most reactions

Back