Coralliamorph Wont Stay Put!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Devilish Angelfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Hoping you can help me with my morphs. A couple of month ago, I saw a tiny morph in the bottom of a tank at my LFS and bought it for $2. It was on a tiny bit of rock and after I placed it in my main tank, it settled in and started showing its pretty red bumps and blue-ish tinge. It hasn't tried to move off the rock or go elsewhere so I am assumig its happy. Then, two weeks ago, I saw the same LFS had a large selection of large (at least 5cm across) morphs for $15 each so I bought a red, a blue and a blue-striped one. I got an extra blue-striped one free as well so 4 in total. The two blue-striped ones were on a small piece of coral and haven't budged since I placed them (though my telescopium snail thats about 8cm long has bumped them off their perch, coral and all). They seem quite happy, opening their mouths and changing shape as suits them. The red and the blue morphs were a different story :sad: .The LFS guy pushed them off their rock so they were free floating in the bag home. I acclimatised them all and set them out where I wanted them. Overnight, the red morph disappeared. Took me two days and a half dismantle of the rockwork to find him - in a small cave at the back, on the sand. I pulled him out and put him back on the rockwork where I wanted him but within hours, there was streamers of goo coming off him and I knew he was a gonner :no: Fished him out and laid him to rest in my garden. Meanwhile the blue morph wasn't keen to stay where I'd put him either *sigh* He was sort of half hanging on and half opening up and closing but today he wouldn't open up or hang on and when I tried to move the original small morph away from him (he was blocking its light), he let go totally and drifted off. Tried to put him in a few different places but NUP - wont sucker on or open. At present, he's rolling about the bottom of the tank like a tumble weed which can't be good for him :crazy: I had thought putting him beside the blue striped morphs and the original small one would be best for him since the spot seemed to please them well enough. I've tried higher spots in the tank, lower, more current, less current, more light, less light but he's obstinantly refusing to play :/ My parameters are good and none of my acora or leather corals or fish or hermit crabs seem upset. Could it be that they were dislodged from their rock at the LFS that upset them so much and making it hard for them to adjust? How do I best settle them in future? Is there anything I can do for my blue guy before he joins the red in my garden :X ?
Sorry for the long post. Hope you can help :)

Hi it's the dislodging off the rock that would do it I'd imagine in future if he goes to do that just refuse those ones and the one that's floating about if you get a small piece of mesh and a small bit of rock place the mushroom on the rock then loosely put the mesh on it using cotton etc to tie the mesh to rock and hopefully hell attach I've done this before and it worked well

:good:

Hi it's the dislodging off the rock that would do it I'd imagine in future if he goes to do that just refuse those ones and the one that's floating about if you get a small piece of mesh and a small bit of rock place the mushroom on the rock then loosely put the mesh on it using cotton etc to tie the mesh to rock and hopefully hell attach I've done this before and it worked well

:good:

Hi, thanks for the answer. I had thought dislodging them was a bad idea but wasn't sure. I think the blue is going to go the way of the red :( - he's laying on the bottom of the tank, squooshed up against a piece of live rock, with his foot in the air.....er....water..... his foot is where his mouth should be, anyway. I'll try moving him and placing him as you've suggested. Many thanks :)

A mushroom that won’t stay in one position is an unhappy coral. It will move about until it find an acceptable place to live.

A mushroom that won't stay in one position is an unhappy coral. It will move about until it find an acceptable place to live.

Yes, that was my own thought also which is why I placed him along side the other morphs who hadn't budged, thinking the conditions should suit him also. I was wondering if, because of his coloring (and therefore his bacteria that causes his coloring), his lighting requirements were different to the other darker colored morphs? He was a lovely light blue all over when I bought him but he's lost most of that color except for patches over him. I wondered if the bacteria in him died off and needs to adjust itself to the new tank parameters?

Okay, after quite a LOT of messing about and sulking (both me AND the morph :S ), I have finally settled the obstinate creature in a spot it likes. Its settled down now and seems to like rather a lot more shade than I expected.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n623/DevillishAngelfish/HitchHikers%20in%20My%20Marine%20Tank/122011280.jpg

Next time I buy these, I'll be ringing the LFS the day before and making sure they a) have some
and
b) that the colors I want are already suckered onto a rock and won't be pushed off by the shop owner when I pick them up.

Okay, after quite a LOT of messing about and sulking (both me AND the morph :S ), I have finally settled the obstinate creature in a spot it likes. Its settled down now and seems to like rather a lot more shade than I expected.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n623/DevillishAngelfish/HitchHikers%20in%20My%20Marine%20Tank/122011280.jpg

Next time I buy these, I'll be ringing the LFS the day before and making sure they a) have some
and
b) that the colors I want are already suckered onto a rock and won't be pushed off by the shop owner when I pick them up.

That is a beautiful coral. Rhodactis?

I dont know.:unsure: It was $15 (AUD) at my favored LFS and they just had a bunch of different colored ones in a tank labelled "Morphs". The red one that died was gorgeous as well :sad: I got a large striped one for $15 and another baby one for free:
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n623/DevillishAngelfish/HitchHikers%20in%20My%20Marine%20Tank/122011224.jpg

- 4 morphs for $45.
I have to make a guilty admission here: its my favored LFS because, due to the fact that I know more about their marine stock than they do, I usually find that the item they have named is mis-identified and therefore underpriced. That's how I managed to buy a large Daisy Coral for $15, a Bi-Color Angel for $20, Blue Chromis for $10 each,
a Peppermint shrimp for $20 (stupid Decorated Goby ate it :grr:):

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n623/DevillishAngelfish/HitchHikers%20in%20My%20Marine%20Tank/122011155.jpg

and a baby morph (the brown-red one in the above pic) for $2....yes, $2. They get new stock every 2nd weekend and if I had a car and their shop wasn't half an hours drive from my place, I'd be on their doorstep every day. :drool:

Very nice, morphs, no wonder your so smitten by them.

I wish my local prefered pet shop wasn't quite so knowledgeble about their salty stocks because it's hard to get a bargin from them, but the guy is really good and helpful :shifty: even if he does hate me for making him catch Borneo Suckers :lol: . (And no I have not tried putting marine fish into fresh or vise versa, it's just that I have all fresh water tanks but love looking at the marines).

They come in lots of colors and patterns, aren't aggressive to eachother, are fairly cheap and, best of all, are very forgiving as far as water and light quality goes - they are probably the easiest corals to keep. I haven't gotten any zoanthids yet (though I have some orange ones that came in on the live rock) - they are utterly astounding as well: a marine LSD light show.

They come in lots of colors and patterns, aren't aggressive to eachother, are fairly cheap and, best of all, are very forgiving as far as water and light quality goes - they are probably the easiest corals to keep. I haven't gotten any zoanthids yet (though I have some orange ones that came in on the live rock) - they are utterly astounding as well: a marine LSD light show.

Yep, I love my mushies. You gotta try zoanthids next, they are AWESOME!!! Go check out my 8g if you're not convinced. If you've got enough light zoanthids, are the bomb!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back