Coral Of The Week - Xenia

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I think pulsing xenia are awesome. I just bought 4 heads yesterday on a coral skeleton. I put them in and they were pulsing away withing minutes.

However, by last night 2 had "melted" of at the base and the other 2 were loosely attached on. I glued one onto my rockwork and the the other I attached with a rubber band. This morning the one I glued on is 95% off again! Why is this?? And how do I keep these attached?

Xenia will move (and can move pretty quickly as well). It will also detach itself if conditions are not right for it or if it has grown over all the available space where it is. Try moving it to a slightly lower flow area and check your water parameters.

Regarding the Nitrate. This is pretty hotly debated because other people also say that Xenia is able to use nitrate to grow. In my tank I had a bad ammonia spike when I added more liverock (followed by nitrite, nitrate and phosphate issues). My xenia instead of dying off seemed to grow twice as quick. However this isnt conclusive as it could have been other factors involved (such as additional lighting, better water flow, etc).

Goodness me, just noticed that nobody has posted in this thread for ages and I just know some on you have xenia in your tank :blink:

I love white pompom aka pink Xenia. It is shorter and bushier than the regular type, not as prolific, and effectively never stops pumping. A great coral that cna even be used or cultivated in the fuge because of its ability for nutrient export.
pinkxenia.jpg

0926101943c.jpg

I love white pompom aka pink Xenia. It is shorter and bushier than the regular type, not as prolific, and effectively never stops pumping. A great coral that cna even be used or cultivated in the fuge because of its ability for nutrient export.

One of my favourites too - however would love some blue

No, it doesnt pulse does it, I just love the colour

i cannot find a pic of it anywhere

My sister had some in her nano for a very short while, it died shortly after being introduced :sad:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20080315172815/www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-85511-coral.jpg&imgrefurl=http://dadhim.org/cespitularia&usg=__oQXO-rqOM0qKphDU7W3q1yZTehI=&h=360&w=360&sz=57&hl=en&start=29&zoom=1&tbnid=X0W84NpcGxcj7M:&tbnh=137&tbnw=137&ei=uVEQTvyGN8n5sgbh5JjFBQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dblue%2Bxenia%2Bcoral%2BCespitularia%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1087%26bih%3D607%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=673&vpy=113&dur=2860&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=165&ty=84&page=3&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:29&biw=1087&bih=607

Source: “Reef Keeping magazine”

For many discriminating reef aquarists, specimens of Cespitularia have been some of the most sought after corals of any kind. The reasons for their allure are many, and among Xeniids they have some of the best of all desirable attributes in the family (re: rarity, color, visage). They have a "look" (morphology) that is distinguished and unique. In gross form they resemble stalked Xenia with a size and structure inclined to grow rather larger than Xenia. ..I dare not even say "color," because their overall look is one of translucent and oft-stunning, iridescent quality - making quite an impression on aquarists! New imports and stressed individuals will lack bright color or any significant opalescent quality, but once established under quality lamps or natural sunlight, they take on a remarkable appearance.. due to the tiny calcareous sclerites, which appear to reflect light and make the coral sparkle or glitter. Colors range from subtle tan and peach hues with green tinged polyps to stellar, solid blue and green colonies. Inspecting Cespitularia in the aquarium at night with a flashlight reveals a metallic silver appearance. Alas, photographs capture very little of the ethereal qualities of these corals and aquarists must see them in the flesh to truly appreciate them. The few fragments that enter the aquarium trade have been cited as hailing from Indonesia or East Africa. They are further observed to favor shallow and wave-protected environments. In aquaria, provide them with bright light and moderate, random turbulent or surging water flow… avoid laminar water motion.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-02/ac/feature/index.php

I've got a nice little clump of pom pom Xenia amongst the tanned one plus a separate frag of pom pom on it's own which is growing fast, can't wait until it grows big enough for it to start moving within the flow. Lovely stuff!

just acquired a xenia frag as a freebie when i bought some zoa's cant get a decent pic yet tho as i put in an area that seems to have too much flow so maybe tomorrow i will get it sorted
P7110091.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back