Cooling fish tanks is not fun

biofish

Fishaholic
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
It’s a bit hot right now and my tanks are averaging 80°, which is fine for my current fish. But I was looking into some colder water fish which recommend keeping the water temp below 75° F.

I have a 10 gallon tank that’s empty right now so I was like “Hey why not try it” and lemme tell you it’s like fighting an uphill battle. The lowest I’ve been able to get it is 74°. And that felt sooooo much colder to me than I thought it would.

Took the lid off/turned off the lights and turned off the heater, put it outside of the sun in a room with the ceiling fan constantly on: dropped it 2° permanently.

So Ive been religiously cycling out 6 ice packs, 3 per cycle, replaced every couple hours. And 74° is the lowest I’ve gotten it. And the moment the ice packs are completely melted/removed the temp immediately starts creeping up.

Short of buying more ice packs or trying to find a way to work a fan somehow in there (tight space) I dont know if I could do it 😂

Makes me wanna flip the bird at the sun.

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
Your wasting your time trying to cool an aquarium, especially a small one. You are better off cooling the room with the aquarium.

Byron

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
What fish species are involved?

Most reactions