convict just killled....

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

thetim6

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well i just got out of the shower and found my male convict beat up really bad,and dead, hooked onto filter. Well this really sucks because my female is sporting a big belly and her prettiest colors. I was expecting them to lay eggs here within the next couple days. I dont really know who did it, although im guessing it was my green terror, since i saw him picking at the convict a little this morning. Never have had a problem between these two fish , convict usually holds its own and is left alone when breeding, so idk what happened, ive had these fish together for almost a year. Just wondering, if i get another male convict , will he pair right up with the female?? mine was only about 3 1/2 four inches long maybe, so im going to try and find a little bit bigger of a specimen, although i raised that convict in the tank with the terror from the time it was like a 1/2 inch. would the male beat on the female or anything , or will it be alright?

sorry to hear that thetim6 :(

cann't help for the q's either - cm or the other cichlid heads I think ;)

:)

if i was you i would remove the female to another spot. she will probably lay the eggs and try to protect them even though they are not fertilized. she will defend the unfertilized eggs and may end up with the same fate as your male. you can try to introduce a new male. she will probably take up with the new male.

convicts are excellent parents and will defend their fry from any predator. more than likely he lost his life to your green terror. i've had mine battle with my devils when they have fry or eggs that they are protecting. also the previous fry will also help to fend for new fry with the parents. they can get down right vicious and will attack anything that even looks like it is going to come within their territory.

sorry about your loss!

maggie

Most reactions

Back