convict cichlid breeding

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Patrick333 said:
my community tank has angelfish neon,black,glowlight netras guppies platies
So no on being in there put the net could work. I could use a i gallon too.
Well, i have neons and glow-lites in my tank with a pair of breeding cons, but i have a lot of space and plant cover. I have lost one neon to the male con, but the female has never gone after any of them.....but anyway i think it's too much of a risk.

Try getting a breeding trap or something you can float in the community tank to keep the female in.

i would just be patient... ive had some for a few weeks and they havent bred... things take time

Well, my two laid eggs today. Took em two weeks.

WHat's funny is the last week they were working on one cave/pit and today they completely abandoned it, spend 1 hour scooping gravel out from under my large 14" amazone sword and laid eggs on the stems/leaves.

Mustang5L5 said:
Just give em time. The female may be stressing over all the recent changes. You just gotta be patient.

Drop your water temp to 75-78 and wait a week. Then do a few 10% water changes and bump the temp up to 82 and see if that does the trick.

Watch the female in the meantime, make sure she isn't being bullied by the male. You may have to remove her. WHat type of community tank do you have? WHat fish are in it? Do you have a small breeder trap you could float in the community tank and float the female in for a day or two? If you have larger fish in your community tank, you might get away with putting a 1.5" female in there for a day or two.
also try feeding them some live or frozen food for a day or 2 .

i have been feeding them frozen bloodworms and live blackworms already. frozen bloodworms for about six days and blackworms for about a week and a half

Now that I have eggs, i'll post exactly what I did. May have been overkill, but it worked for me.

1 week of 75 degree temps. Two days before bumping my temp, i started 10% water changes. On the third day, i did a 10% change and then raised the temp to 82ish. Next day did a water change, Today....had eggs. No special foods really...just flakes.

It took me about two weeks from the time a pair had formed. During that time the females belly slowly plumped up. That may be why your two have not bred yet....no eggs develped.

Just a FYI...i have bred them in the past with nothing special. No temp increase or water changes or special foods or anything. Really all you need to do is make sure you have a male and a female and just wait

Patrick333 said:
does her belly look fat all the time with eggs?
In the days right before her spawn, yeah she was noticably plump right in the area where all the orange spots were. Veiwed from the rear and below it was pretty apparent she was filling up.

Now that she laid them, she is thin again

Mustang5L5 said:
Now that I have eggs, i'll post exactly what I did. May have been overkill, but it worked for me.

1 week of 75 degree temps. Two days before bumping my temp, i started 10% water changes. On the third day, i did a 10% change and then raised the temp to 82ish. Next day did a water change, Today....had eggs. No special foods really...just flakes.

It took me about two weeks from the time a pair had formed. During that time the females belly slowly plumped up. That may be why your two have not bred yet....no eggs develped.

Just a FYI...i have bred them in the past with nothing special. No temp increase or water changes or special foods or anything. Really all you need to do is make sure you have a male and a female and just wait
F.Y.I PEOPLE DON'T BREED FISH , they do it just fine all by them selves , you just have to be patient , keep the water quality good , sometimes a slight change in water chemistry [ PH up or down] or different foods my trigger spawning . But this not always the case . I've had covicts and many other cichlids breed under my care , be ready because something may happen when you least expect it .

I put to long pieces of pipe in there and when ever the femal goes into one the male chases her out. Her tail has a little piece uot of it what should i do? A dither fish?

You can try that but cons don't really need dither fishes. Still it might help to have something else in the tank. I would not recommend tetras unless your tank is big or you have good cover. I've lost 3 neons to the cons. They just wander too close to their territory and get blindsided. I lose about 1 every 2 weeks although i added more plants last week and that seemed to help out. If i don't lose anymore, i'll add some more. The barbs can hold their own just fine. I think i actually have too many.

Try removing the male for a few days. Put him in one of those cheapo floating breeding traps in the same aquariium. Give the female time to relax and establish the tank as her territory. Then try reintroducing the male

Most reactions

Back