The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

saz326

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Been away from the forum for  while and put this in the wrong section:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/424758-convalescence/

Basically I'm asking whether it would be okay to put my underweight, small acei in a medium to soft water tank while it gets its weight up instead of using a hospital tank. 

this other tank is occupied by tetra, barbs, cherry shrimp and a bristlenose.

It would not be a long term fix. Fish would be returned to hard water cichlid tank when it gets its weight up.

Well, I had no replies and plenty of views so i guessed there couldn't be any major concerns.

The fish was slowly been introduced to the different water, and was released into the tank yesterday afternoon. He settled in the evening and was keen to eat and say Hi this morning. I think he is a little "lost" as the tank is planted and looks totally different, but he looks healthy enough for now.

I am ensuring I only feed the tank with cichlid acceptable foods when he is on the prowl. Luckily he is net friendly, so I can sweep him up into the net (balanced in the water) when I feed meaty foods midweek so he wont get sick.

I shall continue to feed and monitor and will update. 

I didn't comment as I really have no idea if it'd be okay or not, but in my head it does sound okay. Glad he seems to be settling in, and I hope he gets better soon :)

Well, she is still smiling and may well be putting a little flesh back on her bones.

All the softer water fishies are doing well. There has been no chasing, fighting, or destruction of cherry shrimp by the Mbuna.

I made some antibiotic pellets by moistening some algae flakes with vitamin supplement liquid, and adding a small amount of leftover amoxycillin. Just enough so that there were white flecks in each pellet. I mixed the ingredients and rolled small pellets from the mix, drying them slowly in the open air. She does seem perkier for eating these over the course of the last 7 days.

There doesn't seem to be any behavioral or medical damage to the fish yet, having been in a softer water environment than it should be in. This ofcourse doesn't mean there hasn't been internal damage, but all being well, Mrs fishy is on the mend! 

The cutest thing is that her mate keeps looking across from the mbuna tank to her in the amazon tank. True love.

I'm so glad to hear she's getting better, and that's adorable about her mate! :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back