Contravesial Issue.

I saw some leaf fish in the LFS today, and they really caught my eye. I know they will readily eat fish, anything that can fit in their mouth - and my gods do they have a huge gob!!! one opened up like a telescope! . I would have absolutely no problem feeding live fish if that is what's required, and some healthy home bred guppies would be no trouble to raise for food.

Small live earthworms , cultured at home in your own compost bin or wormery ( so you know what they've been eating as you've fed them ) could be tried if you really can't bear to feed live fish.
 
My snakehead's are deffo predatory, I have each and everyone of them eating pellet's and shrimp, some took longer than other's to take the switch, however i feel if you persever you can manage to change them over, wild caught older fish are the more difficult to switch,some not making the transition,Guppy's and home bred cichlids like convicts alot of people keep them for feeder fish..
 
Yum, goldfish.

I'm a strong believer in using feeder fish for larger aggressive fish in certain circumstances. However they must be in certain circumstances. If you buy quality feeders, of certain fish species you can avoid the terrible parasites of goldfish, the enzyme, and the garbage nature of the fish. I personally keep large north american native predatory fish (sunfish/bluegill), as well as the occasional bass. These fish are very active hunters and I feel if they ate nothing but pellet would be frankly boring. I keep predatory fish because they are active aggressive hunters and I love watching them take down prey.

But to each there own.
 
See, I've always thought that most people don't seem to find anything wrong with feeding their fish live foods such as brine shrimp, daphinia and snails, but as soon as it's another fish they get picky about it. I've seen a lot of articles that encourage the feeding of freshly hatched brine shrimp to new fry, even though there are specifically made baby fish foods on the market.

Quite frankly, if you can sit and throw a bunch of brine shrimp infants in a tank to be eaten, you shouldn't be upset when someone tosses a couple of guppies in for their fish.

Personally, I think you can feed your fish whatever you want, I just hope for the fishes sake that whatever you throw in is healthy, living or not. :dunno:
 
I don't think aquarium fish should be fed live feeder fish because;

in the wild e.g in the sea, lakes, rivers etc.. the fish has a chance of hiding or getting away from the predator, or even moving its area that it lives in to be safe, but, in a fish tank, the feeder fish can't get away, so basically it has been condemend to death. It's like putting a human in a cage of lions, they have no way of escaping, and have been put to death. Just thought I would air my views.

John.
 
I don't think aquarium fish should be fed live feeder fish because;

in the wild e.g in the sea, lakes, rivers etc.. the fish has a chance of hiding or getting away from the predator, or even moving its area that it lives in to be safe, but, in a fish tank, the feeder fish can't get away, so basically it has been condemend to death. It's like putting a human in a cage of lions, they have no way of escaping, and have been put to death. Just thought I would air my views.

John.
My response to this is always:
So one fish can't get away, so you don't give the other one the chance to even chase prey? You need to decide which one you want to deprive of something ;)
 
I don't think aquarium fish should be fed live feeder fish because;

in the wild e.g in the sea, lakes, rivers etc.. the fish has a chance of hiding or getting away from the predator, or even moving its area that it lives in to be safe, but, in a fish tank, the feeder fish can't get away, so basically it has been condemend to death. It's like putting a human in a cage of lions, they have no way of escaping, and have been put to death. Just thought I would air my views.

John.
You must be vegetarian.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top