Cons Of Having A Tank On The Floor?

Davo86

Cichlids, Catfish and Oddballs
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
5,591
Reaction score
3
Points
36
Location
Shropshire UK
In the near future we are getting an extension built on the side of our house and in it i am looking to have a tank along the lines of a 6X2X2.

However whilst googling for tanks etc i had the idea about getting a custom built tank of 6Lx2Wx4H and having it on the floor with a canister filter at each end, somehow concealed from view.

now, I realise that this may be hard to clean at the bottom but can anyone see any other problems i may have with this set up?

Also to give me some ideas (based on the 6X2X2). what would you stock it with?

stocking however must include my BGK (still fairly small atm in a 4x2x2) and possibly my Horabagrus brachysoma,

I'm currently keen on a Delhezi (or possibly a senegalus) and either a Rotkeil Severum or an Oscar,

Thanks in advance
Dave
 
not sure about this but when i had my fluval fx5 filter and watched the set up dvd they have a certain reccomedation on how high at tank should be atleadt from the filter so i think it prob wouldnt work :unsure:
i have a small 3ft tank about 3.5inches<meausered now> from the ground and this is nearly impossible to syphon out
 
Have you looked into the price of a 4ft high tank? I've heard past 30" (might even be 24" but its either one of them two) height it gets expensive.
 
I've just looked in the manual for my tetratec EX1200 and it gives a max height of 1.8metres so a height of around 4 foot (1.2metres) should be ok i think?
 
Along with the syphon difficulty, the fish may get stressed when someone walks past> vibrations and sudden shadow??

(+ you'd have a bad back with crouching down to see them)

Edit: Actually a 4' high would be great if you can get it....The mid-swimmers would be at a decent eye-level. :rolleyes:
 
Have you looked into the price of a 4ft high tank? I've heard past 30" (might even be 24" but its either one of them two) height it gets expensive.

Aah, you seem to be right there Shroob, after googling i've found a 6x2 X 30" is around double the price of a 6x2x 24" Thanks

So any suggestions for stocking?
 
BGK :good:
Horabagrus brachysoma, :good:
Delhezi (or possibly a senegalus) :good:
Rotkeil Severum :good:
an Oscar, :good:

all of these should be ok together

some silver dollars<red hooks might also be nice
 
around double the price of a 6x2x 24" Thanks

I think that is because the glass has to be thicker to hold in the water, also if you was going to get a stand the stand would have to be thicker.....

I dont see why it wouldnt work.....CFC's tank isnt on a stand is it?
 
I think that is because the glass has to be thicker to hold in the water, also if you was going to get a stand the stand would have to be thicker.....

glass becomes much more expensive as the height increases. That's why CFC's tank is only about 30" tall


I dont see why it wouldnt work.....CFC's tank isnt on a stand is it?
CFC's tank is on a stand made of breeze blocks.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top