Conjoined twin

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
A juvenile Girardinus metallicus with a parasitic twin...
You can even see the eyes of that parasitic twin. For not always are they that visible...
IMG_1723.jpgIMG_1726.jpgIMG_1723.jpg

What's a good way to describe something you find both fascinating, and horrifying?

What will you do with this fish, do you think @emeraldking ?
@Back in the fold there was another thread here at one point with a relative beginner to the hobby who had conjoined twin guppy fry, I'll try to find the thread, the photos were mind boggling. Both quite formed, some were suggesting trying to separate them since both were relatively normally developed, but joined at the gut if I remember rightly. He didn't attempt that, fortunately, and personally I didn't rate their chances of long term survival highly, but they did live for a while before passing away while still fry.

Found the thread!

Fascinating!

What will you do with this fish, do you think @emeraldking ?
Nothing. It won't bother them when the parasitic twin is that small. And when it's small the other fullgrown twin will have a normal lifespan. When both conjoined twins are normal sized, the lifespan will be shorter. So, this specimen should be okay.
a parasitic twin can often live a normal life span .
this wild type guppy Was quite happy swimming around in one of my tanks and lived for 18 months.
View attachment 337455
Correct...

Most reactions

Back