Confusion as to when 'cycling' is complete.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bruce, I think you might be seeing a conflict where there isn't one. I've never taken anyone on the forum to mean that, if your water doesn't contain ammonia for any reason, it's cycled.

When fishless cycling, one adds ammonia. When cycling is finished, the fish are adding the ammonia, and the fish keeper stops doing so. That's why it's OK to add all the fish at once (assuming the tank isn't overstocked etc.). Nothing is really changing, cycle-wise, except the source of ammonia.

As for the bucket scenario, obviously a bucket of fresh tap water isn't cycled. There is no ammonia source. Nor is a bucket that has only had fish in for a few minutes. But if your tank has fish, and the fish have been in there for a reasonable amount of time, and there used to be ammonia and nitrite, and now there isn't, it's probably safe to assume it's cycled. I'm pretty sure that's what everyone means.

If you never see ammonia or nitrite in the water when there are fish in a tank, the tank is cycled. That's all cycling means.

Anything else is not cycling, it's allowing the tank to mature.
Thank you.

I'm picking up on the idea that whilst cycling needs to reach a level to make the tank safe for fish, it is never truly 'complete' and needs some maintenance to be maintained. ;)
Not really. The filter bacteria, once established, replicates itself. Barring some catastrophe or huge change, the fish and bacteria will continually adjust and maintain an equilibrium. There's no need to continuously add more bottled bacteria, or anything like that.

If you never see ammonia or nitrite in the water when there are fish in a tank, the tank is cycled. That's all cycling means.

Yes, after it’s cycled, you won’t see it anymore. I would have to wait to see nitrates for the activity I’m looking for. It starts as a faint nitrate for me..I have a lotta plants. So 5-10ppm is not much to make disappear. If I’m uncomfortable for some reason I just water change it out. But it takes a while for me to get nitrate build up. I use liquid fertilizer.

@imw

In your situation, you currently have a fishless tank with some plants; and you are taking steps to remove every last trace of whatever it was that came out of the wood. At the same time as removing the toxin from the wood you can do a plant cycle by adding more plants (especially floating plants) and waiting for them all to grow some more.

Not really. The filter bacteria, once established, replicates itself. Barring some catastrophe or huge change, the fish and bacteria will continually adjust and maintain an equilibrium. There's no need to continuously add more bottled bacteria, or anything like that.
Yes and no..cuz if a family helps you with mechanical filter and put things in wrong order or get ammonia tap water in it then it a load of problems then have to regrow cuz they killed it lol So yes, you right too lol I guess depends on scenario.
So how long would you say bio culture to grow bacteria can stop being added? When starting up a new tank to getting it established? I’m actually on here trying to find more about that to learn..thank you ❣️

@imw

In your situation, you currently have a fishless tank with some plants; and you are taking steps to remove every last trace of whatever it was that came out of the wood. At the same time as removing the toxin from the wood you can do a plant cycle by adding more plants (especially floating plants) and waiting for them all to grow some more.
Floating plants are hands down awesome for cycling tanks 😝

@imw

Again "Thank you" I am following your advice given when I contacted you. Your time and patience and advice much appreciated.

Regards,

I wrote an article on bacteria which is available on @AbbeysDad blog, the link is below. I tried to keep it simple, while still explaining the scientific. It may provide some insight on all this, timing, etc. There are several false assumptions in this hobby concerning bacteria, cycling, etc, and I was attempting to sort these out in the article.

I wrote an article on bacteria which is available on @AbbeysDad blog, the link is below. I tried to keep it simple, while still explaining the scientific. It may provide some insight on all this, timing, etc. There are several false assumptions in this hobby concerning bacteria, cycling, etc, and I was attempting to sort these out in the article.

Thank you

Aaaaah...now this is where I pull my bucket-tank out, fill it with conditioned tap water, add fish, get zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and call my bucket-tank cycled. :p

Aaaaah...now this is where I pull my bucket-tank out, fill it with conditioned tap water, add fish, get zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and call my bucket-tank cycled. :p
I can't tell whether you're trying to be funny, or just being intentionally obtuse here. If the former, :). If the latter, come on dude, it isn't that hard.

Edit: I'm not being snarky, though I'm afraid it sounded like it. I just don't quite understand why you keep bringing up the fresh-water-in-a-bucket scenario. I think we all agree that said bucket isn't cycled.

Last edited:
Yes and no..cuz if a family helps you with mechanical filter and put things in wrong order or get ammonia tap water in it then it a load of problems then have to regrow cuz they killed it lol So yes, you right too lol I guess depends on scenario.
So how long would you say bio culture to grow bacteria can stop being added? When starting up a new tank to getting it established? I’m actually on here trying to find more about that to learn..thank you ❣️
That's why I said, "barring some catastrophe or huge change." If the filter gets messed up and the bacteria gets killed, then of course you'd need to cycle again. :) But assuming that all is well and your bacteria aren't getting killed off by well-meaning family members or toxic tap water, the cycle doesn't really need anything special to maintain it. The little critters just do their thing.

Regarding your second question, bio cultures vary widely. Some are quite good and some are completely useless. Generally, I'd say follow the directions on the bottle, then proceed with cycling your tank according to the info that's already been shared. Using a good starter culture is a bit like planting seeds in the garden, as opposed to simply waiting for the plants to show up naturally. Either way, you have to wait for them to grow.

@Byron's overview of major types of bacteria, shared above, is excellent. I believe that at some point he (perhaps it was someone else?) shared some specific information on the bacteria contained in various "instant cycle" cultures. I for one would love to see that again, if anyone can find it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back