Confused about my cycle...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

NuclearTeapot

Reaction score
So I'm on day 7 of my cycle... fishless cycle I should say. I orginally dosed tank to 4ppmish and added mature media, media squeezings and seachem stability.

Unfortunately I ran out of stability on day 3 but that should arrive tomorrow... anyway

So only in the last 2 days has my ammonia really began to drop as its been stuck on 2ppm since day 2.
Todays result:
0.5/1ppm ammonia
0 nitrites

When i cycled my other tank I had nitrites within a week so cannot understand why a seeded filter is taking longer to produce nitrites.

Any help?

Thanks

It is possible that you have been fortunate in adding enough nitrite processing bacteria in your mature media and squeezings that the nitrite is already being processed.

Can you give us a nitrate reading, and then another next time you add ammonia? If the nitrite is being processed, the nitrate should rise significantly enough to confirm this. Note that if you are using the API master test kit, the second bottle of nitrate reagent has to be shaken very thoroughly (bash it about) to ensure the reagent is mixed back into the solution.

It is possible that you have been fortunate in adding enough nitrite processing bacteria in your mature media and squeezings that the nitrite is already being processed.

Can you give us a nitrate reading, and then another next time you add ammonia? If the nitrite is being processed, the nitrate should rise significantly enough to confirm this. Note that if you are using the API master test kit, the second bottle of nitrate reagent has to be shaken very thoroughly (bash it about) to ensure the reagent is mixed back into the solution.

So my nitrate level has been consistantly 10ppm which is the same as my tap.
Yesterday it was definetly 20ppm in the tank.

Tuesday evening: Ammonia - 4ppm (dosed back up)
Nitrites 0ppm and Nitrates 10ppm.

Yesterday: Ammonia 2ppm, nitrites 0ppm and nitrates 20ppm

So it definitely looks like your ammonia is being converted almost immediately to nitrate (via nitrite). I'm not sure of the figures, but it seems that 2ppm ammonia has resulted in a 10ppm rise in nitrates, which if my vague memory is correct is about expected. So I'd say you're in for a short cycle. Keep testing, look for 3ppm ammonia converting to 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrite within 24 hours.

By the way, it has been researched and found that 3ppm ammonia is enough. The old measure was 4ppm.

So it definitely looks like your ammonia is being converted almost immediately to nitrate (via nitrite). I'm not sure of the figures, but it seems that 2ppm ammonia has resulted in a 10ppm rise in nitrates, which if my vague memory is correct is about expected. So I'd say you're in for a short cycle. Keep testing, look for 3ppm ammonia converting to 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrite within 24 hours.

By the way, it has been researched and found that 3ppm ammonia is enough. The old measure was 4ppm.

Ah great I'll go for 3ppm then! But today I have nitrates of 0.50ppm !! Havent checked my nitrates yet as I had an emergency with one of my rattys :(

Most reactions

Back