Complete Newbie

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sorry had to leave and forgot to log out!
I think you should be ok for now with those results, but do continue to check them every 12hrs. You'll probably only see a rise in ammonia for the first week as it takes about that long for the ammonia-munching bacteria to develop. The nitrIte-munchers take quite a bit longer to grow sufficiently to make a difference and if I were you I'd do a water change if there's any nitrIte at all - ideally it should be at 0 at all times but you probably won't get any positive nitrIte results for about a week or so from adding the fish.
In some ways this is a good sign as it shows the ammonia-munchers are beginning to develop, but you should still do the 50% water changes when the results show it is needed. As the nitrIte levels start to become positive, the ammonia levels should improve eventually to 0. It may take several weeks for the nitrItes to start to drop without water changes and that's when the nitrAte levels will start to climb. It's a long haul doing it with fish-in and much quicker doing fishless cycling, but if you are prepared to do the necessary tests and water changes it should work out in the end.
I certainly wouldn't add any more fish until the tank is fully cycled and then you'll still need to continue to be vigilant as the bacteria will have developed to cope with the 3 you already have and an increase in population will lead to an increase in waste so it's a constant watching game until your tank is as fully stocked for its capacity and as you want it. If anything err on the side of caution when increasing fish numbers.

2nd water test today was
Ammonia couldn't tell if it was 0 or 0.25, so removed 20lts.
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
PH 7.2
It will be a week tomorrow since the fish have been in. How long would it take for fish to die after they go in your tank?

If you keep on top of the water changes and keep checking the levels as you are, there's no reason why they should die at all. Have found a couple of charts I downloaded when I first set up doing fish-in cycling ( shock! horror! yes we've all been there at some point!). Have asked someone on here to have a look at them to see if they agree they are suitable. I found them very useful, but just wanted someone with more experience to cast an eye see if there's anything I missed.

Arcticfox1977 said:
The vacuum is the gravel cleaner. It's the one you recommended. Filter still not arrived. Hopefully tomorrow.
Tested the water just before dinner again and ammonia was at 0.25. Did another big water change and the fish looks great. My wife can't believe the amount of work that's needed. She had fish about 20 yes ago and she said she did nothing like this. Her fish lasted for years.

Cool, sorry somewhere I thought you were getting another one i.e. two different types.  I think it was when you posted this, after the gravel cleaner had arrived
Just waiting for the hoover as there is a lot of fish waste at the bottom.

Yes, hopefully the new filter will be with you soon, and you will see how much media there is in it to catch all the gunk!
It will all settle down in time and as you get your equipment together you will get faster, and no-one will really notice ;)
Tonight I did four of my tanks in about 1 hour, which included three of them having their filters cleaned
yay.gif

Mamashack has been keeping a close eye on you, but I dip in (as I am sure others do) from time to time as I am keen to see how you are getting on.

Any news on getting some of the live plants?  They will assist with getting the aquarium stable.

We weren't sure when the right time for real plants is. Anyway Easter holidays next week, might take a trip with the kids to MA.

I tend to do things in the following order:
1. Do all the necessary and fill the tank
2. Buy the plants while the tank is cycling
3. Get the fish in small numbers until the tank is stable and the filter media mature.

Therefore, I do not see any reason why you cannot get the plants.  Hopefully the children will enjoy helping you select some.  Enjoy the Easter break.
NB: note that plants need feeding too ;)  Have a look in the planted sections for some hints and tips.

Mamashack has been keeping a close eye on you, but I dip in (as I am sure others do) from time to time as I am keen to see how you are getting on.
haha! you make me feel like Big Brother! lol

You 2 have been great on this topic. Just hope we can keep the subject open with the helpful advice.

Mamashack said:
haha! you make me feel like Big Brother! lol

Big "Mama"shack :)

Arcticfox1977 said:
You 2 have been great on this topic. Just hope we can keep the subject open with the helpful advice.

Awe shucks, thanks - I linked another Newbie into this post who has just filled his tank so he can learn from your journey too.

Arcticfox1977 said:

Awww thanks. It sounds like you've begun to grasp the principles, now it's time to put them into practice. I think you are about ready to fly solo with the water tests and water changes! Yikes! lol
It's not as bad as it sounds and you'll begin to feel more confident as you make decisions for yourself. It's time for me to sit on the sidelines tho I'm sure RCA and I will both pop in from time to time and if you get withdrawal symptoms or panicky you can always PM me or if it's a really urgent situation, post a thread in Tropical Fish Emergencies.
Good luck

My fluvial u2 arrived today. Didn't realise how big it is though. The gravel cleaner also arrived but it doesn't work :( it says that you need to move it up and down quickly to start suction, this doesn't happen.
Can anyone else recommend a gravel cleaner please.

You will get used to the size of the filter, hide it behind some decoration/plants
smile.png
  It is very quiet, I posted some videos into the other newbies post on how to look after this filter, in here you will find the info  Oh, and learn from his mistake with the poly-bag
wink.png
  Plus put some of the media from your existing filter into the U2 to help "seed" it with the bacteria that has already begun building up.

All gravel cleaners work on a siphon principle, so make sure you have the bucket lower than the aquarium.  Then, there are a couple of ways to start it:
1.If you suck the end of the hose until the water just comes over the top of the aquarium, then put the hose in the bucket it will start flowing.  Obviously, avoid getting a mouthful of aquarium water.
2.Put the plastic tube in the water and fill it, putting your finger over the end of the hose, then tip the tube upright so that the hose fills with water.  Then still keeping your finger over the hose, put the tube back in the water again and fill it.  Ensure the hose is low in the bucket then release your finger from the end of the hose and the water should start to flow.  Here is a VIDEO that should show it better than I can explain it.  There are plenty of others, just search in YouTube. 

Arcticfox1977 said:
...The gravel cleaner also arrived but it doesn't work
sad.png
it says that you need to move it up and down quickly to start suction, this doesn't happen.

I have never found the way they recommend works, others may have some other ideas too, but you should find one of the above ways gets it going for you.  Let us know how you get on.

I got mine from PAH and it's got a bulb insert that can be squeezed a few times to get the siphon effect started but as RCA says you'll need the bucket lower than the tank. If you can manage to spend a few more pounds I'd definitely recommend the water pump and hose I linked on here before. Takes seconds to set up and only a few minutes to remove and replace the water once you've prepared it.

Tried the cleaner today and managed to get it to work after watching the video, thanks.
Water levels today
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
That's a day and a half the ammonia has been 0.

When the ammonia munchers have kicked in you should begin to see an increase in nitrItes. Were these results after the water change?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back