Common Hermit Crab & Marine Set-Up?

bitfishy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't even risk it but......

My Godson has found what looks lke a large Common Hermit Crab on the beach which he has fallen in love with. I've been asked if he could live in my tank. Information on the net is confusing.

I'd like to do this for him, but need a bit more reassurance. Just wondered if anyone out there knew whether this was feesible.

Thank you

Wouldn't suggest it, but if you have a picture post it. Donya is our resident hermit expert, she should be able to help you out.

I know I shouldn't even risk it but......

My Godson has found what looks lke a large Common Hermit Crab on the beach which he has fallen in love with. I've been asked if he could live in my tank. Information on the net is confusing.

I'd like to do this for him, but need a bit more reassurance. Just wondered if anyone out there knew whether this was feesible.

Thank you

Where are you located?

It's most likely the temp of your tank will be to high for it, then there's the fact it my well turn out to be a monstrous killing machine :devil:

mmmmmm I've just been looking at Donnas file and it might be a long armed hermit, which doesn't sound very friendly.

You're right, it's not worth it, he's going back to the beach where he belongs

If it's a long-armed hermit (Pagurus longicarpus) then it doesn't belong in the average tropical reef/community tank. The same would apply if it's one of the larger Pagurus species that tend to be in the same area. However, assuming it is Pagurus longicarpus or at least a very similar species (which could be the case depending on collection location), these hermits are easily set up in a small container with an air bubbler and a small chunk of live rock for filtration at room temperature. I currently keep mine in a 1 gallon, open-topped bowl with an air bubbler a DSB instead for filtration. They've been by far the easiest to please out of the various species I've kept.

Obligatory note: if there has been any exposure to non-native fauna or even unsterilized equipment sharing with any tanks housing non-native fauna, then you shouldn't release the hermit back into the wild.

Most reactions

Back