common + albino = calico??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dhjaksu

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok so I have a common long fin female and an albino male. I have 113 babies from their first spawn together.
babies are now 6 days old and eating.

59 babies are albino. 10 appear calico?? And then 44 are common.

I thought that maybe 10 of the babies were commons but just not colouring up properly so I put a post on a fish facebook group asking if it was normal for some babies to not colour up as fast as the majority. quite a few people said that the babies looked to be calicos and that my common female must actually be a very common looking calico.
Normally I would just continue assuming they are commons but in the 500 or so fry I raised up when I only had short fin common adults every single baby was fully dark brown by day 4, which is why I was worrying about these ones at 6 days old and patchy colouring.

so is it possible for an albino and a common to produce calico? clearly the common carries the albino gene because just over half the babies are albino but I have no idea how calico genes work.

I do also have a calico female in the tank but the common long fin is definitely the mum to these babies. once the calico does sawn and I see what the babies are I should hopefully understand calico genes a bit more but these common x albino babies are just confusing me. I also forgot to put food in got them this morning before I left (will be home in just over an hour but it mid day and they haven't eaten since I removed the zucchini last night) so I hope they will all be good when I get home.

my albino male also got eggs from my albino female this morning. I expect those to all be albinos like both parents. hoping the eggs are still there when I get home. this male is also the dad to the almost week old babies but he abandoned them and I had to hatch them out myself so kind of nervous to come home to an empty cave. hopefully he is looking after the eggs though, there's got to be at least 50 eggs which is a lot for a 7cm female.

Attachments

• EA5F367C-BA20-4557-8049-F2321C830A13.jpeg
    EA5F367C-BA20-4557-8049-F2321C830A13.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back