Color development of dwarf gourami babies

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Surthi

Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone know how long it takes for dwarf gourami fry to develop color after hatching?

I have been searching for the answer everywhere, but I couldn't find it.

I'm in a desperate situation because my final year research is about dwarf gourami and I need to know the answer to check if I can complete my research within the given period of time.

The fry are clear during their plankton stage, which is when they are less than a month old and hanging out just under the surface.

The go silver/ grey during their juvenile stage, which is when they move down into the water column and start to look like fish.

Adult males will show some colour after 3-4 months but it can take up to 12 months depending on food, water and temperature. Females will stay silver their entire life.

------------------------
For the best growth, feed the fry 3-5 times per day with a variety of food. Infusoria and green water are required for the first 2 weeks and then the babies can eat newly hatched brineshrimp. You want the babies to be fat all the time, so they look like pregnant guppies.

When the fry are eating newly hatched brineshrimp, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Keep the water temperature warm. Best growth is obtained at 28C (82F).

Keep a cover on the tank for the first 3 months so the air is warm and the fry don't get exposed to cold air.

------------------------
The following link has info on honey gouramis, but dwarf gouramis breed in the same way and the info applies to all gouramis.

If you have fry you might be able to get some to start colouring up, otherwise look for small species of fish they grow quickly. African Killifish (Aphyosemium and Epiplaty sp) are short lived fish and the babies mature and colour up in a couple of months. Pseudomugil rainbowfish do too.

If you can't change species, then see if you can get an extension.

Most reactions

trending

Back