Collecting Manzanita

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CA Archer

Reaction score
I live in an area that has tons of Manzanita that I would like to collect and use in my 20gal tank. I watched a YouTube video that showed how to collect dead Manzanita, along with how to clean it. One question someone had asked was whether or not the pieces he used were too old and decayed? Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for in the way of dead branches? Is there an indication that they may be too old or decayed to work in an aquarium? Other than the obvious that they are falling apart?

If the wood crumbles or is rotten and falls apart, then don't use it. Pick up the wood and hold it up in the air. Let it drop to the ground and it if breaks up, it's rubbish.

The main concern with collecting wood from public places is possible contamination from herbicide, pesticide or other chemicals. As long as the wood is free of chemicals, it should be fine to use. Give it a good soak for a month or more before using it. Change the water each day or at least a couple of times a week for a month. Then away you go.

hello, fellow ca-er
i saw manzanita wood from live trees. parts of the trees die from time to time, and you can use that since it's a lot cleaner

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back