Cold Water Pleco?

Get us a pic. I bought A Pleco, was told it was a Common and it turned out to be a Leopard Sailfin. Was a great buy :)

googled "baby common plec" and looks like that's what he is.
poopers :S
lol

is there a way to acclimatise him and move him to the tropical tank in the meantime?
just that the tropical tank is near enough 4ft so would be better until i can get a tank big enough for him
with xmas just been, a washing machine needing replaced and a little boy with a birthday coming up, it will be a while until i can afford a 6 foot tank is all.
ahhhh what did i doooooo. lololol.

but what if he is a hillstream loach? can they live in a tropical tank?
don't want to cook him by mistake lol.
or is it too late anyway now that he has lived in the cold? if i tried to move him to the warm tank would it harm him?

sorry everyone for all the questions :/
I lot of years ago I got sold a Common Pleco as a coldwater pleco aswell. I gave him to a friend who has him in his jumbo tank, he is massive now. AFAIK the Common Pleco's natural habitat temp will occasionally drop to coldwater temperatures. But as these fish are so hardy and so adaptable (the common pleco is now an invasive species and has invaded many small lakes/rivers around the world), they could be classed a coldwater species :X

sorry i took so long.
he decided that since i was trying for a picture, he'd stay away from the front of the tank lol..
now that i've looked again and properly, i think that you were right and he is a hillstream loach.
he has the butterfly thing going on lol.

pictures arent very clear
P090111_1259_03.jpg

P090111_1259_02.jpg

P090111_1259_01.jpg

+1 for Hillstream loach. Brilliant little loach.

thanks guys
he's cute :)
guess i have to go out and buy him some friends now lol.
online it says he will do better in a group of 3 - 7

sure the pet shop will enjoy that, took them long enough just to catch this little fella :D

he only cost £2.38 thats cheap right? considering that they aren't bred in captivity, they are caught?
(whether its cheap or not, will still be buying him his friends asap, they aren't in very often)

thanks guys

sure the pet shop will enjoy that, took them long enough just to catch this little fella :D

he only cost £2.38 thats cheap right? considering that they aren't bred in captivity, they are caught?
(whether its cheap or not, will still be buying him his friends asap, they aren't in very often)
Wow bargain price! Usually in my area these are on sale from £8 to £20 :X

ace :D even better hehe.
i shall wait until AFTER i have bought his friends to inform them that what they have is hillstream loaches not coldwater plecs - they shouldn't have to be told though, shame on them lol.
betcha i get there the week after i tell them and the price will have shot up ;)

i shall wait until AFTER i have bought his friends to inform them that what they have is hillstream loaches not coldwater plecs - they shouldn't have to be told though, shame on them lol.
betcha i get there the week after i tell them and the price will have shot up ;)
Fantastic evil plan! :shifty: :hyper: I would do the same, I would get jealous if anyone else managed to grab them at that price lol :sly: :shout: :lol:

Fantastic evil plan! :shifty: :hyper: I would do the same, I would get jealous if anyone else managed to grab them at that price lol :sly: :shout: :lol:

i wish this was like facebook where i could like a comment lol.
coz i would like that one :D

i am the master of cunning :sly: :sly: :sly:
(thats a reference from 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps - just in case you dont get it and think im a freak :D_

thanks guys

The question is where did you get it from so we can all get one lol?!

They are £9 from my LFS!

am i allowed to say?
mod can just remove it if im not.

firthfields pet shop
northwich
cheshire

he's about 2 inches in size.
they have about 10 of them in, so if anyone lives near there.....

the little guy died :(
don't know what happened.
looked over at the tank this afternoon and he was just lying on the bottom.
can't think what happened? had been feeding frozen bloodworm and also crushed flakes (holding them under water a second before letting go so that they would sink)

i wish i knew what had happened

Most reactions

Back