Cold Water Pleco? Is this true?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

er, i'm terribly sorry if anyone thought in the slightest that i was recommending keeping plecs in outdoor ponds.

if its a pond, splurge on a heater and keep the water at a nice lukewarm 72 degrees.

if its a coldwater tank for happy coldwater fishies like dojo loaches, bitterlings, etc -- get a suitably sized pleco (provided room temp is higher than ~68 degrees).

now my lfs sells things they call pond plecos, which look like huge plecos, is that a type of pleco by any chance? If so wouldnt that be okay for a pond as it is called a pond pleco. Though it may just be a sucker catfish, which they catch and sell for cheap, but this one was $35, so I assume it is a pleco. Probably just a common one though, as that it what it looked like.

I have some BN that live in a pond - started with about 5 and now after some 4 years we are up to about 50. We have a pond outside that just has Pacific Blue Eyes and BN in it. Pond is located under our front steps and so is sheltered from the sun and also large birds that may need a snack! Both species breed lots. I do however live in a tropical environment. I guess that is one bonus of living here. Although it does get down to under 10 C some nights during winter (which lasts about 2 - 3 weeks)

My BN are very visible. My pond is about 18" to 2' deep, with heaps of plants that have their roots in pots in the pond and the main part of the plant above water. We have a small waterfall at one end, which the BN love to swim up the side of the pond and into the rocks at the bottom. Then you will hear a plop as he goes back into the pond. They also sit out in the open on the bottom and sides of the pond waving their tails. They are great characters!!!

Megan

Megan, where in the world do you live ? I think it definitely makes a difference if you live in a tropical or sub tropical country. When I lived in South Africa we also had plecs in the garden pond but it never got much colder than 15degrees Celcius.....

Hi Bloozoo2

I live in Mackay, Queensland, Aust. (the land down under!!!) Not too many nights get that low, but we have the occasional one. It is 7.15am Tues here and I'm just about to get ready for work!! It is also 1st day of winter. 15 C at present!! That is cold! When you live in the tropics the houses and of course all your clothes are geared for the heat - so what is freezing for us would not be for those in colder climates!!! I'm considering a jumper!

so will a pleco be comfortable in a room temperature tank... i shouldnt say cold water tank... it will be in a small room?

Hi Ali

What temp is your room? Where do you live. I suspect that mine are the common ones even though they were not sold as that.

Megan

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back