Cold Water Pellets For Tropical Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Squidward

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I recently got a South American Lungfish.

He gets fed fish, prawns, mussle etc, but I also want to feed him a pellet to cover any deficencies he might be missing in his diet.
Hikari Massivore has been suggested. But it is very expensive. 2 or 3 x the price of the other Hikari products.

Someone suggested to me to feed Sturgeon pellets.
But I have been doing some reading, and some people suggest that Sturgeon are cold water fish, and the pellets have been specifically designed for them as cold water fish. And that feeding these pellets to warm water/tropical fish could be harmful, as their metabolism is different.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

So long as they eat them and keep them down, I generally don't mind what I feed to my fish. If they seem off or have unusual colors, behaviors or poop then change the food asap.

I personally would not use the Sturgeon food.  Hikari says that their sturgeon pellets are specifically designed for cold water fish which require an easily digested food.  While this may not harm warm water fish, I wouldn't risk it.  Each fish species has evolved to function best in a specific environment.

Most reactions

trending

Back