Coffee Table Reef

sianeds

Fish Addict
Reaction score
OK...so I guess you've all seen the coffee table tanks which are used for FW.....well I think one would make a fantastic reef tank.

There are 2 main issues though....

1st...they are stupidly expensive
2nd...where would all the equiptment go?

So....I reckon I can build my own to keep the initial cost down...I am thinking it won't be much harder than making a standard cube tank, with the added bonus of having wooden framework on the edges to hide my rubbish sillicon job!

I am thinking that I could hide the skimmer, powerheads and heater in the corners where there would be wooden framework....but I am struggling with the lighting...

Unless I build a wooden "lip"around the edges of the glass to mount the lights ... I can't see where else they could go.
If I did this then all the lighting would be at the edges...would this pose a problem??

Also can anyone recommend any decent tiny powerheads that would be easy to hide?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :good:

Wow, yeah you do like making htings difficult :D. Here's the issues as I see them aside from all the difficulties in making your own tank that seals well.

Filtration - You can take care of it either in corners like you said, or you could run flexible hose into the basement (if applicable) for a sump ;)). Either way, you'll need to worry about maintenance if you plan on keeping the tank longterm.

Flowrate - Small powerheads can work, but a drilled closed-loop might e better say with inlets and outlets in the sides?

Feeding - How are you going to feed the tank?

Glass Cleaning - Invest in a mag-float ;)

Lighting - Here's the tough one. If you want a fish-only, no big deal if the lights are in the sides corners. If you want a reef tank, you wont get enough coverage this way to support corals. MAYBE softies like leathers, mushrooms and zoas, but I wouldnt even consider LPS and certainly not SPS. One idea would be to hang retractable halides from the cieling and have them descent and light the tank for 4-6 hours per day in addition to the side lights. Might be enough power to keep LPS then and surely enough for SPS. However that leads us to our last and by FAR worst problem

Heat - How are you going to remove the heat energy from lights powerful enough to grow corals, submerged powerheads, and equipment from a tank whose top is closed? Without a basement sump, I couldnt see this being possible in the summer unless you employed a chiller...

While not impossible, your ideas are exceptionally difficult and likely costly. But hey, if you want to try it you had BETTER take pictures :D

G/L

why not try to mount t5 tubes arounsdd the top rim? also how would you get all of the cables to an inlet without haveing wires clutter everywher up?

Wow, yeah you do like making htings difficult :D. Here's the issues as I see them aside from all the difficulties in making your own tank that seals well.

Filtration - You can take care of it either in corners like you said, or you could run flexible hose into the basement (if applicable) for a sump ;)). Either way, you'll need to worry about maintenance if you plan on keeping the tank longterm.

Flowrate - Small powerheads can work, but a drilled closed-loop might e better say with inlets and outlets in the sides?

Feeding - How are you going to feed the tank?

Glass Cleaning - Invest in a mag-float ;)

Lighting - Here's the tough one. If you want a fish-only, no big deal if the lights are in the sides corners. If you want a reef tank, you wont get enough coverage this way to support corals. MAYBE softies like leathers, mushrooms and zoas, but I wouldnt even consider LPS and certainly not SPS. One idea would be to hang retractable halides from the cieling and have them descent and light the tank for 4-6 hours per day in addition to the side lights. Might be enough power to keep LPS then and surely enough for SPS. However that leads us to our last and by FAR worst problem

Heat - How are you going to remove the heat energy from lights powerful enough to grow corals, submerged powerheads, and equipment from a tank whose top is closed? Without a basement sump, I couldnt see this being possible in the summer unless you employed a chiller...

While not impossible, your ideas are exceptionally difficult and likely costly. But hey, if you want to try it you had BETTER take pictures :D

G/L

ok so.... firstly it is not going to be closed at the top. The glass top will be on "feet" a few inches from the top of the tank walls.

There is no sensible way I could have a sump attached unless I can take up the flooring and run the pipework into the understairs cupboard...not out of the question but my husband might not approve and it would make maintenence a little tricky.... :crazy:

The cleaning isn't an issue really as it will only be about a foot deep and the glass top will lift off completely without too much difficulty.

It is really the lighting that bothers me...I could have a retractable luminaire system :look:

I would like corals in there but if I can only run it as FOWLR I'll do that....

I will put a pic of my plans on when I can draw it clearly enough...untill then I will concentrate on my wall mounted nano/pico plans :D

I do like a challenge :S

So... this is a basic idea of what I have in mind...after a few modifications (and taking my woodworking skills into account)

100702.jpg

I'd do an FOWLR and an Urchin to keep it clean. I gotta be honest, lighting a tank like with enough power to grow corals AND keep it cool... that scares me. An urchin would help keep algaes at bay and you could have some nice nano fish in there or if its big enough some tangs or other large fish. could be a cool way to add interest and beauty to the livingroom :D

My thought process with this tank is that I want a marine tank with 360degree viewing, so it will have to go in the middle of my living room. I have seen some nice threads on here and in other forums where people have cube style tanks but I don't want anything too high to restrict the old mans view of the TV and the xbox :lol:

I agree that it will have to be FOWLR with the possibility of putting a few mushrooms etc in there once it's set up and I have a better idea on how the lighting will work.

I am still toying with the idea of running pipework under the floor to a sump tank although I worry that the power to pump the water the five or six feet required will make this unworkable :no: I will be putting the power cables under the floor though "trapdoor" style

The design I am working on will be approx 1metre square and about 80cm high.

I am also working on some "picture frame" tanks and a "TV" tank, oooh and my 200gal reef :D :D :D

Wow, ambitious :D. You better own a digicam :shifty:

Pumping water up 5-6 feet isnt that bad, an eheim 1260 can do that. When you start breaching the 6 foot barrier its usually time for an external pump ;)

I am sooooo gonna do this!! :hyper:

Ok so today I have drawn up my plans to scale and will go and talk to my friend who is a glazier about the getting the glass I need for this and my picture frames(which I think may have to be tropical at first). Also I am going to pick some pretty wood and some marine grade varnish. I will have the wood all cut to size and pre-drilled so all I have to do is sillicon the glass together and screw the wood together. Am not quite sure what I can use to hold the top up...will have a flick through some hardware mags. I am also considering having the top made from acrylic...I know it will scrath easier but it will be so much lighter....

Once I have it all assembled I can start looking at equipment. If anyone can recommend any super small powerheads and skimmers please let me know

Tunze nano skimmer. Do yourself a favor... Drill any and all holes first and then have the glass for the coffee table tempered ;). Dont want someone giving the coffee table a kick and having multiple gallons of saltwater greet them for their troubles :lol:

For small powerheads I would go with Tunze nano streams. You get big performance in a small package and for very low electric cost.

I myself would worry a little less about heat from the tank side. After all, it is going to have about the same amount of air access to it as a normal aquarium, but overspill from the lights blinding you will be an issue.

If you wanted a truly bizarre idea, one could always try lighting from underneath, though the actual logistics of carrying this out would make it a ***** (cooling would become an issue, and a bare bottom tank would probably be needed taking you away from the more natural side of the hobby.

A smaller non-pred FOWLR system with any small non-photosynthetic sponges you can get hold of could work nicely. Stuff in some LR, a nano skimmer and a couple of nan streams and it should look nice.

Oh it is definately very possible.

I'll have a look at the hardware recommended.

I have a vague idea for some internal lighting... we have all seen the fibre optic type aquarium ornaments...I am going to do some research into how they work and see if I can possibly put some lighting into the rockwork...just as additional "feature" lighting..also I was thinking I could put some LEDs in the legs so the corners don't look too dark, however the equipment will be hidden in the corners so I'll wait and see.....

LED banks in the corners huh? Would be perfect for a fish only, and then heating wouldnt be a worry :good:

Most reactions

Back