cocoanut caves???

Magnum Man35 150

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,647
Reaction score
6,900
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
I’ve never done these, typically I do resin or ceramic…

those that use them… do they sink right away???
are they stable on the bottom, or do the fish move them around???
how long do they last in an aquarium???
do you recommend them???
 
I've been making them for about 30 years. After about 20 years, they are done. You can poke your finger through them by then.

Their advantage for me as a dwarf Cichlid breeder is twofold. First, they're cheap and easy to make. Second, if you can get a coconut that's covered in fibres, you can weave a little java moss into it and it'll take off. This provides a first feeding spot teeming with micro organisms when the female leads the fry out.

I generally don't boil things for aquariums, but I do give the half coconuts five minutes after the inconvenient white stuff has been removed, and the doors cut. They sink better. I've never had trouble with them staying in place though. I only use them for species in the 10cm-ish range though. They're useless to larger fish.

Nanochromis don't like them, preferring a flat ceiling they can dig out. Pelvicachromis and Apistogramma love them.
 
I use those too. As long as there's a hole on top, it will sink right away. If no hole on top is present, just keep it upside down to loose the air and it will stay on the bottom. I think they're quite practical.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top