Co2 Yeast Or Co2 Tablets ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nick1200

Moved On
Reaction score
Ok so i had a 340L tank and was using 3 x 2L coke bottles of home made co2 (yeast ) and was working fine but plants was not growing and the plants was turning yellow. I cut down to 2 bottles and then there was a load of algae growing every were. I had to sell the tank but now have bought a 240L and the new tank came with co2 tablets..
So just wondering would it be best for me to use the co2 tablets or make my own co2 again ?
Also i have been reading that the more oxygen that is in the water the harder the co2 has to work ? I was thinking of adding some more air stones to my tank but headers from google that oxygen and co2 will class...

I have used both and now use neither. I use the Fluval compressed C02 system. I am really glad I decided to go that route too. It's much easier to manage amounts, the quality is top notch, and I don't have to worry about using my wife's sugar!

Could i ask how much the Fluval compressed C02 system kit is and how much the bottles of co2 are ?? Im guessing the bottles don't last long ?

For the price of a fire extinguisher I'd set up pressurised, regs are like 20 quid from Hong Kong too.

A CO2 fire extinguisher, a regulator and a diffuser will set you back like 50 quid so go pressurised CO2 instead of yeast. There is a link here.

Id be to scared of it going off in my face... im guessing the co2 tablets and yeast give off the same amount of co2 ?

Never used tablets and cant say I know anyone on here that does, choice is yours mate, I was like that with fore extinguishers at first but I love it now, its so cheap and effective.

The Fluval was $38 USD for me to buy and the replacements are $13 USD on Amazon (or $18 at my LFS). One canister lasts me over a month in my 6 gallon tank. Depending on what you have in the tank you could use more or less.

That's the small version, they also sell a slightly more expensive large version for larger tank.

I find it to be a solid system for those not interested in buying refillable canisters and regulators etc. They aren't perfect of course but still a nice little system.

well the most expenise one on ebay is
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLUVAL-88-PRESSURIZED-CO2-KIT-NEW-FREEPOST-up-to-150l-/270708082632?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3f077587c8
which is 67 pound and only works on up to 150L i have a 221L 4x2x1 tank ...

Go with a fire extinguisher mate, I just replaced my 2KG one with a 5KG one and the 2KG one lasted 6 months on 24/7 so a year and half if I done an 8 hour timer.

That's the large one so it seems you would need two units which ups the cost. There are other brands than the Fluval that do the same thing for larger tanks but won't break the bank. A little research will find them. If the fire extinguisher idea is tried and tested it might be worth looking into. I've not done that myself so I can't speak to it but it sounds affordable.

The thing i was thinking was that when i was little and in school ( 5 years ago ) we was told there are laws around fire extinguishers with leting them off and buying them... I donno if they was right tho...

Ps3Steveo how many L is your tank because it lasting for 6 months sounds real good.

Its only 60L but, if you use a timer or solenoid to make sure its on for the recommended 8 hours a day then it would last you 5 months or a 5Kg bottle would last like a year. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back