Co2 Regulation / Ph Controller

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

scottca

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi All,

At the moment, I regulate my pressured co2 system using a solonoid plugged into a timer, Co2 comes on and off just before the light timer switches them on / off.

Im aware that this will cause a very small fluctuation in PH Levels. Whilst im not keeping any fish that would be affected by such small changes im wondering if investing in a PH controller would be worth it (does Algae growth increase with PH Swings)?

If I did get one, how would I set up the range it needs to monitor, obviously at the minute im aiming for the drop checker to be a certain PH level which causes it to go the pea green colour as it contains 4dkh water, but the PH Probe wouldnt be able to go into this drop checker. So would I need to get the tank to the correct Co2 level using the drop checker, measure the tanks water PH and set the controller to that. This obviouslly assumes the water im filling up with is a constant PH, which it should be?

But this may all be irrelivent if the general concensus is that a PH Controller is pointless :)

Cheers,

Craig

Hi All,

At the moment, I regulate my pressured co2 system using a solonoid plugged into a timer, Co2 comes on and off just before the light timer switches them on / off.

Im aware that this will cause a very small fluctuation in PH Levels. Whilst im not keeping any fish that would be affected by such small changes im wondering if investing in a PH controller would be worth it (does Algae growth increase with PH Swings)?

If I did get one, how would I set up the range it needs to monitor, obviously at the minute im aiming for the drop checker to be a certain PH level which causes it to go the pea green colour as it contains 4dkh water, but the PH Probe wouldnt be able to go into this drop checker. So would I need to get the tank to the correct Co2 level using the drop checker, measure the tanks water PH and set the controller to that. This obviouslly assumes the water im filling up with is a constant PH, which it should be?

But this may all be irrelivent if the general concensus is that a PH Controller is pointless :)

Cheers,

Craig

From what i understand about PH controllers is they can never be accurate or 100% at least, there are many factors to PH in an aquarium which isn't linked to CO2, dissolved minerals, bogwood, substrate, fish waste, food waste and im sure even adding certain ferts can alter slightly... i presume this is the reason why water from the the tank is not used in a drop checker.

Is it the CO2 level in the tank you want to keep an eye on?, or is just PH readings that concern you?

The best method for CO2 testing is a drop checker obviously with 4dkh solution, the best accurate measure of PH at the time of testing would be test kit of the liquid form or a PH pen i would imagine.

My Ph from the tap comes out at 7.5 within 2 days i have a reading of 6.8, this is without no added ingredients, decor or fish... my water has a low KH so doesn't buffer well decreasing the level of the PH, i add that water to my tank with bogwood in the PH after a couple of days drops sometimes below 6 and sometimes above 6.5 (straight from the tap a constant 7.5)... the reason why PH controllers cant actually be a fully accurate, way to many variable can happen within the tank.

Hi Jake,

Thanks for your reply.

To be honest, im only concerned with the Co2 reading in my tank. My attempt and thoughts were based around making my Co2 dosing more efficient as at the moment im just guessing that it needs to be pumping Co2 x minutes before lights on and x minutes before lights off. I was thinking that I could measure PH, and therefor Co2 in my tank as I would know what my "base" PH is in my tank. I would then aim for that markert to ensure I always had a good constant supply of Co2.

I wasnt overly concerned with PH in my tank as at the moment I dont really have a need to keep within PH ranges.

I wasnt aware however how much PH fluctuates and how there are so many variables. Maybe the way im doing it is the best way and im just trying to over complicate a very simple task of keeping a constant supply of Co2 (I currently use 4dkh and a drop checker)

Thanks again,

Craig

Two hours before the lights come on and 2 hours before they go off is a general rule of thumb, when it comes to C02 injection. It's normally about this time for your drop checker to turn from blue to green. It normally take a plant only 4 hours to reach it's maximum photosynthesis time, after that it won't take up as much in the way of fert, so a couple of hours over of C02 doesn't hurt.

imo those ph controller with probes are a waste of money. Obviously there are pro ones on the market, but they are very expensive.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back