CO2 on the cheep

-=DG=-

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've been reading about how much plants need co2. I've got a couple of java ferns im trying to grow onto wood, but the leaves are starting to turn brown.

Anyway i was reading around and read how to make co2 from yeast and sugar and let it pump through an air stone. The system is working, but is this sort of co2 ok for the fish cos maybe some other gases are being made as well?

Cheers

DG

Hi DG

I am not sure if any other gases will be produced. The thing I would be concerned about is the doseing level of CO2. It must be hard to control the bubble release rate with this system. Too much CO2 can be dangerous to your fish.

Dolphin
iru.gif

Hi m8,

Well there are a few trickles of bubbles about every 10 secs. Too much? On the site it said nothing about dosage. But maybe if i alternate the days?

Here is some pics about apparatus I just made from Tetras spreader:

levitin1_200135.jpg
levitin2_200135.jpg
levitin3_200135.jpg

You add CO2 normally, but you put water to flow through spreader too. Using T-piece before outlet-pipe. CO2 should absorb better into water in this way... I haven't tested it yet B)

co2 is now gone. The plants are looking scummy so i'll bin then soon.

Cool looking gear :) I dont really know much on this and dont want to kill my fish so i'll leave it there.

Cheers

DG

cutechic said:
imo java fern does not grow well on driftwood
I've still got them. There are some fat green roots, but its still not holding to the wood (rubber bands holding it down). Only a few leaves left.

Most reactions

Back