Co2 Into The Filter Impeller Question

danski

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i know my hobs arent the best for co2 but i prefer them over my filstar xp-1..anyway can i still run my co2 line into my lift tubes or is it better to run in the ladder? thanks

As you are aware, the disturbance from the HOB will knock CO2 out of solution very quickly. Injecting CO2 anywhere near the HOB will be pretty much a waste of effort. You would be better off siting your CO2 unit as far away from the HOB as possible. Even then, I suspect you are largely wasting your time.

okay..well i dont know about wasting my time since with my hobs, im usually sitting aroun 25 to 30 ppm of co2 just wondering if i can get more diffused thru my filter impeller yet the spillway is what is confusing me..wont a spillway alone diffuse the co2 into the air? thanks..

is the spillway the downpour of the HOB ? you cuold minimize the agitation caused by the hob on the surface by attaching loose foam over where the hob pours down.... i could post a pic if you dont get me... but HOB's can be a pain sometimes when dosing c02...

is the spillway the downpour of the HOB ? you cuold minimize the agitation caused by the hob on the surface by attaching loose foam over where the hob pours down.... i could post a pic if you dont get me... but HOB's can be a pain sometimes when dosing c02...
thanks a pic would be cool. yah the spillway is the downpour of the hob..i dont know why but my rena xp-1 never seemed to filter that good and my water was always c;oudy so iwent back to my aquaclears..

As you are aware, the disturbance from the HOB will knock CO2 out of solution very quickly. Injecting CO2 anywhere near the HOB will be pretty much a waste of effort. You would be better off siting your CO2 unit as far away from the HOB as possible. Even then, I suspect you are largely wasting your time.

If there is no surface agitation, then will the fish get enough O2?

That has always been a big concern of mine when trying to reduce my HOB's surface agitation to make sure it doesn't drive out CO2 (too much)...

here is a picture of the HOB in my nano tank (i removed the hob already because im trying to increase c02 levels in my tanks)
nanofilter2.jpg

i wouldn't worry too much about the hob and lack of C02, in my case the hob's internal splashing is already providing enough circulation and o2 at night (i found out because i accidentaly forgot to replug my hob after a cleaning, when i woke up the next day all the fish were gasping for air already *my hobs downpour was already stuffed with a piece of filter foam)... But it might be different with other people, you could try it out first and watch the tank closely :) right now with my main tank the hob's downpour is blocked and the fish are doing fine even at night

>>> If there is no surface agitation, then will the fish get enough O2?

Providing you do not have any surface films or anything else, you don't need any agitation to get gas exchange at the surface. Some water movement to distribute it is useful, but I have always found placing the outlet and returns from my filters at opposite ends of the tank is sufficient.

Of course, it depends on the biological load/O2 demand in the tank. A serious plant keeper's tanks often look empty to an average fishkeeper who in the plant keepers opinion, has a fish soup.

In nature, the stock per cubic meter is never anything like as high as the average aquarium, even remotely. Frequently in nature, fish live in still water where the only surface agitation comes from the odd falling leaf.

In nature, the stock per cubic meter is never anything like as high as the average aquarium, even remotely. Frequently in nature, fish live in still water where the only surface agitation comes from the odd falling leaf.

actually in nature there is quite alot of surface agitation from air current moving across a body of water, especially during certain periods of the day

well for me when i had my rena-xp running there was little to no surface aggitation and to me the fish seemed a little stressed and i didnt think i had enough 02 and i dont have lots of pearling and o2 release from my plants so when i put my aquaclears back on everything seemed to be fine. i even tried to adjust the little plug on the end of my venturi and when i got it right with air bubbles coming out of the spraybar the next day it wouldnt be the same amount of bubbles it would be little to no bubbles, so i gave up on my new rena xp-1

Most reactions

Back