Co2 Generator..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PaulEbs

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I decided to try the DIY co2 generator for my 40 gallon tank..

..I used a 2 litre bottle with air tubeing siliconed out the top.

..Poured in 2 cups of sugar in hot water to dissolve, and a teaspoon of bread yeast into a cup of warm water..

..Poured all of that into the bottle, screwed it up and connected it to air tubing going to the bottom of my powerhead.

I just wanna know whether this is going to work? What are other people's experiences with the same method?

The instructions I used said 'wait for the yeast to foam' once it's added to warm water, but mine didn't it just dissolved and slightly foamed. Is this right?

Any help would be brilliant as I really don't want to murder my fish with carbon gasses, if I've done it wrong :X

If the water was too hot when you added the yeast you may have killed it and you will need to start again. The water should be at about body temp. I believe you can add another bottle with the airline going through the lid into a bit of water and another airline going from the lid to the tank so you can see the gas bubbling through the water. Good luck.

Cheers, I probably did use water that was too warm..

..So I've started again, but the yeast still fails to foam for me, my partner said it will take 20mins without sugar, so then I thought, well if it's being added to sugary water, then can I add sugar to the yeast before putting it in the bottle just to speed it up a little?

Cheers.

Another question..

..How long does it usually take, using this method, to start seeing some bubbles?

how much water are you using?

Method I use:
-add 1 cup of sugar to 2 cups of warm water, stir to dissolve
-in another cup add 1/2 tablespoon Yeast to about 1 cup warm water and stir to dissolve
-pour everything along with 1 more cup of warm water into the bottle

I usually have bubble pumping away w/in 30 min to an hour.

Cheers for the suggestion, I tried it again, your way, and bubbles started in under an hour! I now have a constant supply of Co2 bubbles in my tank :)

Although I'm not sure this method works as well as it should without some kind of diffuser, do you have any tips on this?

I'm going to start another bottle off tommorow, attach the piping to the top of a filter to help disperse the bubbles. Can you overdose a tank with Co2?

The tank is a 40 gallon, and I've been told most people would use 2 x 2 litre bottles for Co2 in this sized tank?

I have now installed a bubble bell..

..I used the bottom half of a plastic cup, with the co2 output in the tank running underneath it. This should produce more co2 for the tank, does anyone have any experience with using a bell? Is it effective?

Great! sounds like you've got it working pretty well. For more information check out the pinned article in the Planted Tank section on C02. There's tons of good infor in there for you.
cheers!

I thought ya had to use bicarbonated soda? This just helps to balance the PH

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back