Clueless about Bettas

cutechic

Sol
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'd really love to put a betta in the new vase I've bought, but I've just got a couple questions before I go out and buy him/her:

The vase is 3/4 gallon and is (obviously) uncovered.

1. Is it mean to put a betta in this size vase? I know they should have at least a 5 gallon tank, but a vase is much better (in my opinion) than a little plastic cup.

2. Is it possible for the betta to jump out of the vase, since it is uncovered?

3. Do bettas breathe through thier gills or do they come up to the surface of the water for air? (This last question proves my ignorance!)

Thanks!

1) I don't think it's mean to put them in a vase, but it's not exactly the best option. IMO, it would be better to get him at the very least a 1 gallon tank. Unless the betta is going to be placed in a warm room (at the very least above 70 degrees) then I'd recommend getting something bigger than a 1 gallon so you can put a heater in it.

2) Bettas are good jumpers, so yes it is possible for him to jump out of his vase.

3) They come up to the surface for air and breathe through their gills (though they are not as well developed as other fishes)

1. I don't really like vases, but your right, it is nicer than the cup as long as you KEEP IT UNCOVERED!!!! Bettas are carnivorous, and if you put a plant over them, then how are you going to feed him/her? Most bettas just get so starved that they eat the roots of the plant, which isn't good for them since their body is built to eat meat.

2. It is possible, but IMO bettas aren't very good jumpers. You might want to put a piece of screen or something over it, just in case your betta decides to be a world famous Olympic fish vaulter.

3. Bettas are labryniths (did I spell that right) and that means that, yes, they do need to go to the surface for air.

Hope this helps!!! :D

At least put him in a Dual Betta Hex with the divider removed. And feed him freeze-dried foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp about once a day.

I disagree with vases so I'm surprised at myself for even replying.

Whatever you keep him in it MUST be covered because of JUMPING and their air needs to be humid and covers provide that

ok, i'll see if i can get a screen or something for the vase if i can't find a bigger home for the betta

At least put him in a Dual Betta Hex with the divider removed
Why should I put him in there? the vase is larger than betta hex. the only benefit of the betta hex (that i can see) is that it is covered.

So here's my recommendation.........last night I went to Walmart and spent $10 on a 1 gallon tank complete with a little pump and underground filter that will not get used but it also has a top and a light.

I added some gravel I already had and a small rock decoration. The rock is black and white and the gravel black. The tank is triangular in shape with a black top.

So for $10 and some stuff I had laying around I have this nice little Betta home.

Now to find the perfect betta! 8)

I used a piece of fibreglas screening held down by a brass ring onto a one-gallon terrarium jar. Including a plastic plant and some pea-sized gravel, the setup cost me about 10 bucks as well.

Susan

Unfortunately, my Walmart only sells betta vases :( All the "betta homes" complete with filter, heater, light, etc are between $30 and $40, and trust me, I've checked countless petstores.

Do you have a picture of your setup, susan? It sounds kind of complicated to make :unsure:

Most reactions

Back