Clown Killifish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gill

Store Manager Coalville Aquatics
Reaction score
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: I Finally Have Them :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Thanks To Stang1 for telling me thwy were in.

These are one of my Favorite fish after Splash Tetras and GoldWCMM's

I got A lovely Group of 12 with a few large Males who have already been diplaying to each other and fighting for Dominance.
I bought some food from the BLA Show specifically for Killis and they have eaten it and have fat tummies. even the Formosa are taking it.

Pix aren't great as need to clean the glass and Get some BNplecs (they do such a great Job of keeping the glass spotless)

Ps.ann%20Monrovia%20purzl.jpg

I think I have these type of them from watching the Males Displaying.

Pix

Picture038-7.jpg

Picture043-10.jpg

Picture044-6.jpg

Picture045-6.jpg

Picture046-5.jpg

Excellent....Beautiful little fish. There are many different strains of Ps. annulatus from various type localities,
what did it say exactly on the bag.
Get some floating plant Salvinia for your water surface. Although btm pic in you sig suggests you already have some.
What was the name of the food (dry/frozen/live)
Regards
BigC

Excellent....Beautiful little fish. There are many different strains of Ps. annulatus from various type localities,
what did it say exactly on the bag.
Get some floating plant Salvinia for your water surface. Although btm pic in you sig suggests you already have some.
What was the name of the food (dry/frozen/live)
Regards
BigC

The Label in MA Had Rocket Killis.

Yeah I have Loads of Riccia Floating on the left hand side of the tank. its the big males that stay in this corner.

Can't remember its very fine and powdery (Like Caster Sugar Fine) and A Deep Red Clay Color. The Fish love it and wolfed it down 1st time.

They came in as Pseudepiplatys annulatus but not sure of the original locality. Spent ages researching although I should have asked you BigC. :blush:
Great photos Gill, you've certainly done them justice! Glad they've settled in well. Just need to get my tank sorted so I can have some! :hey:

They came in as Pseudepiplatys annulatus but not sure of the original locality. Spent ages researching although I should have asked you BigC. :blush:
Great photos Gill, you've certainly done them justice! Glad they've settled in well. Just need to get my tank sorted so I can have some! :hey:

Thanks, I may just get some more - they are great to watch and make a nice contrast to the Gold Minnows.

They came in as Pseudepiplatys annulatus but not sure of the original locality. Spent ages researching although I should have asked you BigC.
Fine no problem, just remember if your selling them on either what you have or young from breeding, if you dont know the original type locality then just tag them as "Aquarium strain".
As for the food, its more than likely called Red Astaxanthin Crumb. Comes in various grades from fine powder to granular and is available from TA Aquaculture.
Regards
BigC

Make sure you breed from them now because they are a really short lived killi. Most never make it past 12 months.

Red Astaxanthin Crumb - yep thats it knew it had asta something in it.

They came in as Pseudepiplatys annulatus but not sure of the original locality. Spent ages researching although I should have asked you BigC.
Fine no problem, just remember if your selling them on either what you have or young from breeding, if you dont know the original type locality then just tag them as "Aquarium strain".
As for the food, its more than likely called Red Astaxanthin Crumb. Comes in various grades from fine powder to granular and is available from TA Aquaculture.
Regards
BigC
Does the locality make a difference?
As you can see, I'm relatively new to Killifish and don't want to be selling a fish if it's unsuitable for any reason.

As you can see, I'm relatively new to Killifish and don't want to be selling a fish if it's unsuitable for any reason.
Not really to the casual breeder (just sell them on as Aquarium Strain) but to a purist the location code is paramount to the species conservation.
Different localities have subtile differences in fin colouration etc.
As for longevity I have personally kept these little gems for over 18 months no problem They are slow growing and only sex out after around 3 months. Fully grown in around 8 months.
Regards
BigC

Not really to the casual breeder (just sell them on as Aquarium Strain) but to a purist the location code is paramount to the species conservation.
Different localities have subtile differences in fin colouration etc.
As for longevity I have personally kept these little gems for over 18 months no problem They are slow growing and only sex out after around 3 months. Fully grown in around 8 months.
Regards
BigC
Thanks BigC. ;)

Look how shiny He is. And his Dominance Spot is Massive and glows under the new lighting.
Picture031-7.jpg

Picture043-11.jpg

Picture052-3.jpg

Picture053-4.jpg

Picture054-6.jpg

WhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Watched them scatter eggs this morning while having my morning brew.

Better get some spawning mops now then ;)

Think Tim (TAaquatics) at BLA may of had some for sale, but this would also make an interesting breeding project.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back