Clown killifish breeding tips

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So, I have had three pairs of clown killifish since last summer, they successfully spawned and one batch (only two fry) survived. Since then nothing, At the beginning I fed the surface way more when I expected fry, so it was easier, since then abundance of ramshorn snails, addition of shrimp and addition of other fish makes breeding impossible. Hence I decided to breed them in a separate place but need some tips.

I set up a 4-5 liters plastic box, stuffed it with a java moss I cut from my other tank and filled it with half new half water from other tanks, to seed it. I put the male in for two days, fed live bbs, after two days I put a female in. I do a half a liter water change every two days. There is duckweed to help with spikes. Ofcourse there is a lid
IMG_1584.JPG

Now the question. I know they can spawn a little every day, and to get the biggest yield, should i leave the adults in there for the two weeks? Wait for fry to appear before removing them? Leave them just for a week before removing, to make sure the fry can hatch without parents?
What is the best practice.
For feeding, I have a bucket with infusoria ( I hope, will check the culture), microworms and I raised them before on a smidge of first bite on the surface.

Also what does it mean the eggs are light sensitive? I dont have a light on the box , but it sits on a table near a window, so there is light but not much. Is that ok? Or a blackout is needed once the adults are removed?
Also once the adults are removed, should I also remove the lid, or will the surface dwelling fry appreciate the humidity and stability the lid provides
Oh I also have some catapa leaves, moringa, jack fruit and other. Should I add some to the bottom of this tank to help with ph and microfauna?

Thanks a bunch
Picture of some of my clown killies in their main tank
IMG_0807.JPG

The container is extremely small and under planted. Just the moss won't work. You need floaters too.

The problem as I see it is that in that container, they will always be close to the eggs and always bored. You're bored, you eat. The species isn't a serious egg predator, but in sparsely planted small tanks, they'll do it.

Jam that container with plants. If ramshorns transfer, no problem, but pond snails will destroy eggs quickly. If the sexes were separated for a week and conditioned, I would leave them in the breeding tanks for 10 days. Watch for another 2 weeks to see if you have fry. They hide. If it doesn't work, try again with more space.

Oki, thank you, will go hunt for my salvinia and other plants
What about the leaves, is it worth it?
Thanks

Light sensitive means the eggs can't get any light on them or they won't develop. You need to use containers that you can't see through and have a layer of dark coloured substrate (gravel or peat). Have lots of Java Moss and some floating plants like Water Sprite. Don't have a light above the tank and don't have them near a window.

I would also use bigger containers (20 litre bucket is better) because it puts more space between the adults and the eggs (eggs are usually laid at the bottom). You can also fluff up the java moss a bit more so it's higher and a bit looser but fills up more area.

If you don't use a filter, change at least half the water every day to keep ammonia levels down. However, it's better to have an air operated sponge filter in the breeding tank to keep the water clean for the adults and babies.

--------------

Separate males and females for 5-6 days and then put them together. Add the female first so she can settle in and introduce the male a few hours later.

Leave the pr in the tank for a week and then move them into another tank that is set up the same as the first tank. Repeat each week. If you don't get any babies from the pr, swap the males.

Make sure there are no snails, shrimp, hydra or planaria in the breeding tanks. These can sneak in on plants like Java Moss and they will eat the eggs and fry.

I've never seen light sensitivity with Epiplatys eggs, but darker makes it harder for egg predation to start.

I've put snails into petries dishes with killie eggs. Pond and malaysian snails destroyed eggs. Ramshorns didn't touch them unless they were infertile.

I filter all breeding set ups. Endless water changes are disruptive, and the micro-organisms on a sponge filter are excellent early nutrition for tiny fry.

Ok I have added a seasoned sponge to the air line, and a handfull of salvinia, now what other plants, just more java moss or an actual anothr plant?
IMG_1585.JPG

I will look into a larger container, for now the fish are in, the plants are in, will leave them for a week once I put more plants in. and will feed a smidge twice a day

Ok change of plans. I was checking my infusoria in a bucket culture, I have only a small bucket as it was my first time attempting. I am furiously trying to remember from what tank did I took the moss out of, as it was sitting in a box for a while, as I didnt want to throw it away, I used it in the bucket.
Long story short, the bucket has been here for like two weeks, closed lit, dark, filled with squeezed sponge water, topped off with fresh water last week. I open it, and behold a small fry. No clue of which fish, I have to remember what tank I took it out of. It was either a pseudomugil luminatus, or white cloud minnow. Both would have surface dwelling fry. Will know once I fish it out.
I am panicking now, so I will catch the killifish, return them home and move the mystery fry to this box. With some water from the bucket, as apparently, it was enough for now. Crazy. Freaking out

IMG_1586.JPG

Most reactions

Back