Cloudy Water, Slight Film In Places On Gravel

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hmm never had this before! It's newly set up but with mature media.

The water's slightly cloudy and there are some little blobs of film, nothing drastic, fish are happy. Haven't been overfeeding (underfeeding if anything). Done a 20% water change just now hasn't made that much difference.

Any tips, advice, clue of what it is, will it go on it's own, is it dangerous??? Thanks
 
Sounds like a bio film of some sorts, cant say Ive ever had it though.
 
wild guess here but maybe some organic matter in the gravel causing a bacterial bloom?? have you tried a good gravel vaccing followed by a larger water change?
 
wild guess here but maybe some organic matter in the gravel causing a bacterial bloom?? have you tried a good gravel vaccing followed by a larger water change?

Hi Mark, what do you mean by organic matter?I have gravel vac'd today and done a 20% water change, shall I do the same again tomorrow and the next day until it clears through?
 
organic matter can be anything uneaten food bits of plant pretty much anything really. like i said tho its just a wild guess based on the water being cloudy even after a water change if it is a bacterial bloom have a read through this from BTT. may help .
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=246850
 
organic matter can be anything uneaten food bits of plant pretty much anything really. like i said tho its just a wild guess based on the water being cloudy even after a water change if it is a bacterial bloom have a read through this from BTT. may help .
[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=246850"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=246850[/URL]

Hi Mark the gravel was new, the fish were not fed the first few days, basically I just upsized my tank but used the internal mature filter media in the new external filter so reading that pinned topic is it safe to assume the mature filter media did naff all and the tank has gone into a cycle?
 
hmm bit out of my comfort zone here lol so have a free bump!
 
Any idea on your water stats Mel? Its not unusual to have a mini cycle after media trf, its happened to me, even though I used mature media, for about a week after a change over, I had a rise in nitrIte, never above 0.25ppm as I continuously done water changes, the water was a little cloudy as expected, so there is a chance its happened here.

Any pics of what it looks like, or would they not show very well?
 
It's ok today, I was reading about it last night, it said it would clear up within a few days and it seems to have done so. Hopefully it stays that way!
 
This was the cloudy film on my gravel, it's all gone now due to gravel vaccing and water changing, but I still am wondering what it was? If you look at pic closely around the centre, there is a murky ectoplasm on the gravel
ak8ksl.jpg
 

Most reactions

Back
Top