Cleaning under undergravel filter...

FishFriend

Reaction score
I have a tank that has been in place for 2 years.

I understand I need to clean *under* my undergravel filter in order for this filtration system to operate correctly.

So, the obvious answer to the question 'how do I clean *under* the filter is no doubt 'remove all gravel and filter and clean with standard suction process' - is this right? I'm assuming I will also have to remove all fish from the aquarium during this process.

:/ ugh... seems this is quite a chore as I have a 40 gallon tank and several large fish (2 tin foil barbs approx 7.5" each and 1 bala shark approx 6.5" along with various sundry other fish).

I will appreciate any tips, words of caution, etc. for cleaning under the filter.

Hi FishFriend

Do you have any other filtration in the tank, other than the under gravel?

As you have stated in you post. The only way to clean the under gravel plates is to strip the tank down. This will need to be done, because the buildup of waste under the plates, will eventually slow the nitrification process.
You will be able to detect the point at which this is happening, as you will start to see ammonia readings, above 0.

If you have another filter you can transfer the fish to another container, with the filter and heater. Save as much water from the tank as you can, and do not clean the gravel. Strip the tank down. Clean it and reset it up, using as much of the old water as possible.

Hi Dolphin...

Thanks for the info - yes, I also have a Penguin filter.

hmmm... now to think of what to use for the temp home for my lovely finned friends - would a cooler work? I have a used one or, would a new one be preferable.

Of course, I know that anything needs to be throughly cleaned before the using - I'm assuming a good scrubbing and then a bleach soak followed by filling it with plain water and appropriate amount of clorine remover (to remove the bleach) finally followed by filling with tank water and then the fishes.

Does that sound like an appropriate drill?

I still say 'ugh' at the prospect of breaking down the entire tank but certainly understand the necessity - this perhaps is the cause of my 'red tide' as posted in the 'tropical chit chat' forum.

Again, thanks much for the info!

Hi FishFriend

Sorry, did not link the two posts.

I had a similar thing happen to my 88 gall tank the other week. It went orange rather than red. The only way to clear it was a complete strip down. No amount of water changes seemed to help.

You could clean the cooler with a strong salt solution, rather than bleach. Bleach is OK to use, but needs lots, and lots and lots and lots of rinsing. Even is you used a new one, I would clean it before using it for fish.

As Mollymomma said, keep the gravel wet during the strip down.

As the water is red do not reuse it, in the new setup.

The fish will have to stay in the cooler for a few days, to allow the tank to stabilize. Then you should be able to transfer the filter back to the tank. Closely followed by the fish.

Txs for the tips Mollymamma 'n Dolphin...

I guess I can count my blessings that I've only gotta strip a 40 Gal instead of an 88!

RE keeping the fish in the cooler a few days - is this ok? Should I separate the big guys from the little ones? Should I add some greenery or something? Should they be kept in the dark (with the cooler lid on)? I've got a bottle of 'bag buddies' (walter conditioning tablets with fish calmer) - I'm assuming dropping a couple of those tablets in wouldn't hurt either - huh?

Ah, questions, questions, questions...

RE keeping the 'red tide' from returning - I'm assuming I should rinse the gravel in the salt water too? (txs for the tip on using salt instead of bleach, btw)

Again, thanks for the info!

FishFriend,

Why not use this opportunity to replace your UGF with a decent external filter? The prices are quite reasonable, expecially if you shop online, and it would make future maintenance a much easier task.

Just a thought - I know there may be other reasons why you may want/have to stick with the UGF.

Cheers, Eddie

if you have a hoover and alot of patiens then i think you could clean the gravel that way also if you have plants then they will feed of the muck in the gravel or you could replace the gravel bit by bit as to the plastic of the under gravel so long as i did it slowly i used to be able to take it out without disturbing the fish too much or i would move the fish to another tank while i did it but then i only ever did it a couple of times.

Eddie... (or whoever wants to pipe up) I'm on a very limited budget - do you have recommendations for an external filter - I'm quite green in that area.

Txs...
FF

I personally like the Fluval x04 range - looking on the Hagen site the 204 will do tanks up to 40 US Gal and is advertised on PetSmart.com for $64.99

Unfortunately I am the wrong side of the Atlantic to give you the best advice on the types available in the US and the best places to buy. Hopefully someone will jump in, or if you don't get anything soon start a new thread asking for advice on the best budget filters and where to look for them. Best to mention that you are in the US otherwise you might get lots of suggestions of UK based sites :)

HTH, Eddie

Most reactions

Back