Cleaning The Tank With Fry In!?

C & D

New Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Powys, Wales, UK
Hiya we have fry in a 35l tank but there's left over food at the bottom. Shall we use a siphon to clean the tank or is there a risk off sucking up the fry? 8-) Thanks
 
Hiya we have fry in a 35l tank but there's left over food at the bottom. Shall we use a siphon to clean the tank or is there a risk off sucking up the fry? 8-) Thanks

I would, definitely - you don't want the to reduce the water quality by leaving old food there.
I don't know what fry you've got in the tank but I had a similar sized fry grow out tank for livebearers and they swam for cover when I put the siphon in the tank to water change it.
 
Hiya we have fry in a 35l tank but there's left over food at the bottom. Shall we use a siphon to clean the tank or is there a risk off sucking up the fry? 8-) Thanks

I would, definitely - you don't want the to reduce the water quality by leaving old food there.
I don't know what fry you've got in the tank but I had a similar sized fry grow out tank for livebearers and they swam for cover when I put the siphon in the tank to water change it.

I agree 100%
 
Hiya we have fry in a 35l tank but there's left over food at the bottom. Shall we use a siphon to clean the tank or is there a risk off sucking up the fry? 8-) Thanks

I use a siphon to clean my fry tank. I have found that if I swirl it a little bit the fry will scatter. Then keep it low on the gravel. My dalmation fry have started to swarm around it when I clean - they are ornery little things. Just keep an eye out, if you happen to get one of them just lift it out right away and it will go back into the tank.
 
I have Pygmy corys in my fry tank and they do a fantastic job cleaning the bottom of the tank, Just a thought dont know wat fry you have and i am a newb :blush:
Becks.
 
If your worried about them getting sucked up, use a airline tube so its not as powerful :)
 
When I had platy fry, I still cleaned the tank. I would get one of the children to sit by the bucket and tell me if they could see in fry in it :lol: But I never sucked any up, they seemed to get out of the way of the siphon.
 
What kind of fry are they?

I breed bettas, and the fry are still extremely tiny when I start siphoning the tank. I use airline tubing and try to avoid them, but I always end up sucking up at least a few which I gently return to the tank with a turkey baster, no harm done.

If they're larger fry (livebearers?) it should be pretty easy to avoid sucking them up at all, and you should definitely get that old food out of there to maintain good water quality for them.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top