Cleaning Filter After Cycle Completion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

manofish123

Reaction score
I'm close to completing a fishless cycling of a small tank. Just prior to adding fish I will be doing the recommended big water change to get the Nitrates down. At the same time I want to clean my filtration system "without" losing my bacteria.
What is the proper procedure to clean the sponges, filter pads, etc so that I dont lose what bacteria I'v grown over this long and boring cycling process ? Its a Fluval Edge 6 gallon.

Thanks

I'm close to completing a fishless cycling of a small tank. Just prior to adding fish I will be doing the recommended big water change to get the Nitrates down. At the same time I want to clean my filtration system "without" losing my bacteria.
What is the proper procedure to clean the sponges, filter pads, etc so that I dont lose what bacteria I'v grown over this long and boring cycling process ? Its a Fluval Edge 6 gallon.

Thanks

Put some tank water in a clean bucket when you do the WC and clean your sponges, media, pads, in it. I'm not familiar with the Fluval set-up but I do it with my Aqua Clears.

The bacteria cling on quite strongly to the media, so you don't have to worry too much. Just don't scrub them until they look 'clean'; you want to remove any loose 'mulm' and no more.

Usually a quick swish through your old tank water will be enough, but the sponge might need a squeeze or two.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back