Clams

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

There are certainly other brands of phytoplankton, but I can't think of any. I have always used Kent.

I do know that some of them are actually live cultures in the bottle so need to be kept refrigerated.

fair enough, i'll browse and see what we can find

Caution...as you can see from andywg's posts, clams are not easy to care for. Although rated as 'moderate', they can be a challenge. Yes..they require excellent lighting but also require phytoplankton. I don't post this as a 'party pooper', but, as a mod in this section, this animal should be purchased as an experienced reefkeeper. If the clam dies, it can nuke your tank. Be a conscientious marine aquarist.

SH

Caution...as you can see from andywg's posts, clams are not easy to care for. Although rated as 'moderate', they can be a challenge. Yes..they require excellent lighting but also require phytoplankton. I don't post this as a 'party pooper', but, as a mod in this section, this animal should be purchased as an experienced reefkeeper. If the clam dies, it can nuke your tank. Be a conscientious marine aquarist.

SH

not taken as 'party pooping' at all SH, always appreciate your input.

if we're simply not gonna be able to provide for an animal properly there's no way we'd want to get one. so as you can see we're just doing some research and seeing if it's feasible and what we would need to do.

maybe we'll just put it on hold for a bit until we've more experience under our belts.

however that being said we've managed not to kill anything yet so we're not doing too bad! ;)

You know what would be challenge..maybe safer.....have you looked into any of the gorgonians? They are tough to keep but perhaps a better challenge. Some are photosynthetic (purple sea whip), others need to be fed. Check it out. SH

You know what would be challenge..maybe safer.....have you looked into any of the gorgonians? They are tough to keep but perhaps a better challenge. Some are photosynthetic (purple sea whip), others need to be fed. Check it out. SH

oooh i saw an absolutely beautiful coral labelled up as blue gorgonia in an lfs the other week, tried to research but came up a massive blank so decided against, too much of a risk with no info.

if you know a site i can get some info on them it would be much appreciated as i really really liked it. :D

If you think clams are tough and like a lot of phytoplankton, try keeping a blue gorgonian :crazy:. The blue ones are typically non-photosynthetic and thus REALLY hard to keep, they make clams look easy. If you want to grow phytoplankton, grill Matt on how to do it, I know he grows his own :)

If you think clams are tough and like a lot of phytoplankton, try keeping a blue gorgonian :crazy:. The blue ones are typically non-photosynthetic and thus REALLY hard to keep, they make clams look easy. If you want to grow phytoplankton, grill Matt on how to do it, I know he grows his own :)

pmsl, ok i'll not get the blue gorgonia either then, damn i reallky wanted one of them!! :rolleyes:

If you want to grow phytoplankton, grill Matt on how to do it, I know he grows his own :)

STM sell their own phytoplankton and deliver too, £7.99 delivered. They do a 2 weekly or 4 weekly cycle. Its good stuff. I get one pouch a month :good:

Super Green

cool, i'll keep that link, thanks

Wait a min, what kind of blenny do you have?

a falme tail blenny (still trying to get a latin name) and a tail spot blenny....... why?

flame tail also known as bi-color blenny?

See we're a bit confused if he is a bi colour or not. we got him, i did a bit of research and couldn't find anything about flam tail's, assumed it's a dodgy common name from the lfs as per usual, came up with the bio colour blenny. went back to the lfs a week later i mentioned him and referred to him as a bi colour blenny and he said no it's actually a different species just the colorings similar but the tail shape is different and it's definitely a different fish. he's been meant to eb finding out the latin name for it for months now and hasn't come up with anything. so he's a bit unknown!

why were you asking what blenny's we had anyway?

SOME types of blennies nip at clam mantles :unsure:. I'll have to have a poke through some books cause I dont remember which ones do off the top of my head.

Most reactions

Back