Cichlid Re-scape!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Gidge

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So it's been a while since I've been on here, life has been throwing me lemons, but never fear, I'm back!

Lets get into it;
For a while now I've been wanting to change the 'hardscape' or 'rock' in my cichlid tank. I knew what rock I wanted, but couldn't find it anywhere. I found something similar on an online store, but the pricing was (politely) outrageous.

So about a month ago, my partner and I went on a little road trip to a place called Esperance. (If any of you are thinking of coming to Australia I highly recommend you check this place out!)Any way, whilst exploring around, I found my rock! It was on the side of the track we were taking to head to a beach. So my partner being the lovely man he is, loaded up the car for me.

I've brought it home, soaked it, scrubbed it, soaked it some more, and here it is.

IMG_4788.jpg

It's not the best photo, but as you can see, it's pretty well pitch black, and some have white lines running through it.

This is what my tank looks like now. (It's a mess I know, be nice)

IMG_4792.jpg

So here are my plans. I'm keeping the sand and the black backing. I'm thinking of building up the rocks on either end of the tank, and tapering them out towards the middle which will leave a bit of open space for them.

I would really like to add some plants. So could any one recommend to me some plants that cichlids are less likely to rip apart? I know Java Fern is one of the most common, but I'm not quite sure how I'm going to attach it to the rocks.
I'd also like to create some kind of 'lawn' in that open space, but again, not sure how I'm going to go about that.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Okay, so I have done some researching, and have come across a list of plants that have the best chance of surviving a cichlid tank.

The list is as follows:

• Anubias (pretty much any variety)
  • Vallis
  • Amazon Sword (Bleheri, Amazonicus, Paniculatus)
  • Java Fern
  • Java moss
  • Cryptocoryne Wendtii
  • Bacopa Carolinia (Giant Bacopa)
  • Melon Sword (Ech, Osiris)

Does anyone have any experience with any of these, or can suggest any others?

Would be much appreciated thank you.

I would really like to add some plants. So could any one recommend to me some plants that cichlids are less likely to rip apart? I know Java Fern is one of the most common, but I'm not quite sure how I'm going to attach it to the rocks.
I'd also like to create some kind of 'lawn' in that open space, but again, not sure how I'm going to go about that.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.[/font][/font][/font]
[/quote]

As a novice myself, i used fishing line to attach moss balls to large rocks in my tank for good effect,. Your tank is gonna look stunning with the black rocks, may i suggest a green LED light for the background? Hope you post a pic of the finished tank
Alan

As a novice myself, i used fishing line to attach moss balls to large rocks in my tank for good effect,. Your tank is gonna look stunning with the black rocks, may i suggest a green LED light for the background? Hope you post a pic of the finished tank
Alan

I'm not too sure if I want to put moss on the rocks, they're just too interesting! I definitely think they are going to give a nice effect to the tank. And I will of course post pics! :)

Vals do grow in lake Tanganykia. The only plant I'd be worried about is the baccopa, as it doesn't have strong root growth. Everything else would be fine. Love the rock, reminds me of obsidian.

Vals do grow in lake Tanganykia. The only plant I'd be worried about is the baccopa, as it doesn't have strong root growth. Everything else would be fine. Love the rock, reminds me of obsidian.
Thanks! If I could protect the base of the plant with some rocks, it might have a chance. But otherwise, I think I might stick with Vallis and maybe the Amazon Sword. I really can't imagine Java Fern on those rocks :/

Time to start ordering more plants ;)

Great idea :good: ! Haha :D Esperance you say :) Might pick a few of those rocks up to next week when i go down. ;) Your right though it is a lovely place, best beaches!

Great idea :good: ! Haha :D Esperance you say :) Might pick a few of those rocks up to next week when i go down. ;) Your right though it is a lovely place, best beaches!
Ohmygoodness! Are you a fellow Perth-dweller!? Yes they have amazing beaches. So does Albany! - When the weather permits it :p

Love the black rocks in the back, maybe you should mix them with the lighter ones in the front.

Ohmygoodness! Are you a fellow Perth-dweller!? Yes they have amazing beaches. So does Albany! - When the weather permits it :p

:D Im from Kalgoorlie, so its only a short 4 hour drive for me luckily. :)I haven't been to Albany yet but i am soon. :)

As promised to "This Old Spouse" updated picture of my cichlid tank. I haven't gotten around to re scaping yet. I've been a cripple for a little while now, so everything has been put off. 

The tank is a mess, dirty black backing, seaweed clip still in there, and filters are just positioned anywhere to do the job for now. And as you can see, my scale babies have been digging! 

00e99d9e-f1a0-4229-a05d-dae6c68a678d.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back