Chrysichthys Longipinnis, Aluminium Catfish Info?

laurac94

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I might be buying a tank and the guy says it has an African aluminium catfish with it, after some searching the only African one I can find is Chrysichthys longipinnis on planetcatfish, it says that they can reach 27" and eat pretty much anything like worms etc, does anyone have any experience with these fish before I buy? The tank is a 5 x 2 x 2 so if the size us right I will need to sell,
Thanks for any info

You would do well to get some decent (including side on) photos of the full fish and posting a thread on PlanetCatfish. IDing some Chrysichthys spp. can be a nightmare. ;)

My C. ornatus has grown from ~4cm SL to ~11cm SL since September 2012 and already has a mouth gape as big as my biggest ~12cm SL Leopard Bushfish, I could squeeze my middle finger down their throats! ;)
This catfish was quite shy when new, but its true grumpy aggressive colours are starting to come through, long term I'm already wondering what else will be safe besides my Euchilichthys group; Synodontis notata; Auchenoglanis spp. in my 6-footer.

Most reactions

Back