Chocolate Gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PDSimon

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I saw 4 chocolate gourami at my LFS, two appeared to be full size and two were about two thirds of the adults, possibly their young? I've never been interested in most gourami but I thought these had lovely character.

There isn't really much info on the net about them, I was just wondering whether anyone could tell me their experiences with them and whether they are so difficult to keep?

My current stocking is

2 bolivian rams
8 kuhli loach
5 amano shrimp
6 rummy nose tetra

tank is 30G, water stats are

less than 6 GH and 3 KH
pH is about 6.4
temp is about 27 degrees

Yay Simon, get Gouramis you know it makes sense!

I like Chocs but there was a reason I write them off, can't think what it is though.

My book says they grow to 2 inches, are good community fish, like a PH of 6.5-7.0 and a temp of 23-29 degress. Ease of keeping they gave 6/10

It also says they can be difficult to settle in and have to be looked after very carefully (though as you have Chichlids I can't see it being any different). It says they also swim around the tank with their fins clamped so it's not be seen as a problem. and they're mouthbrooders!

I guess if there's a prob with your stocking then it would more likely be with the other fish towards them.

Cheers caz :good:

Thats quite a positive list of care, there isn't much info on them and what info there is makes them seem very difficult fish to keep...

Yeah that might be why I decided against them. There is someone in this fourm who keeps them (or has done) but I forget who it is.

If you do get any the thing I absolutely love about them that didn't occur to me till I had them is how they feel around with their labyrinth doo dars (as a Gourami keeper I prob should know the name). They did it when I first put them in there, like they were sussing out what everything was and they do it to my hand if I put it in there. They also do it to each other in the dark. Kinda like "oh there you are". :lol: They're deffo quite intelligent fish I think.

Be there a topic on these beauties and I'm not interrested.... (just look at my sig below)... They are (IMO) extremely difficult to keep and very difficult to find... (here in SA)

In my topic in the Gouramie section about "Goramie inventory"... there is indeed someone who mentions Chocs... Go to the topic and see who it is and then ask him directly about the formulae required to keep them successfully.

Cheers guys

I did notice someone keeping chocs in that but didn't want to jump into one specific opinion to quick ;)

Hi PD simon you asked for an opinion in this thread so..

thay are deffinantly one of the most difficult gouramis to keep because they are very Susceptible to disease. the bigger the school the happier they are and will have a much more higher survival rate. it took me two tries to succesfully introduce them.
your water conditions would b great for the choco gourami especially if you can keep the hardness down as much as you can.

overall they are great fish with great personality and were worth the fuss of introducing them

ph: 4-6.5 Mine:6.2
Temp: 25-31 celsius Mine:27
Water Hardness: as low as you can get it mine:1 dh

i keep them with rummy noses and cardinals

Cheers for the reply!

It seems 5 would fit pretty well into my tank so hopefully my LFS can get some more in!

Thanks you everyone :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back