What's new

Chocolate Ghost Knife Help

mikki2315

Reaction score
So I was slightly irresponsible and bought a chocolate ghost knife without doing any research I fell in love at first site he is currently in my 95 gal community tank any info would be great all I could find was they were slightly more peaceful ( they have even been housed in numbers) and they get to only 8" any help would be great as I have many homes in my basement for hom just would like to find one that suita him best

Reaction score
Well basically they like a lot of hiding places and some shaded lighting as they crepuscular sometimes nocturnal. They love live food and will eat mouth-sized fish given the chance.

Their temperament varies on individual personality. Some are peaceful and some should be kept with fishes of the same disposition. Most keepers prefer a species tank for them.

Personally i'd say your tank is good enough if your ghost knife is around 3-4" but will depend if there are other fishes of the same or bigger size than it is

Ninjouzata

Two Eels Are Better Than One
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
Like has been said, lots of hiding places. :)

Can you get a picture of him at some point? I think of two different things when I hear chocolate ghost knife.
There has been color variants of the Black Ghost Knife (Apteronotus Albifrons), and then there is the Brown Ghost Knife (Apteronotus Leptorhynchus). I hope you have a leptorhynchus.

Reaction score
And also don't feel too bad about it, at least you got a 95 gal to put it in and not a 40-ish something gal that i read somewhere from a previous keeper here lol

baker360360

Reaction score
My brother had a black ghost knife in a 12 gal I took it into my 50gal before finding a shop to take it in. It was about 8"

Ninjouzata

Two Eels Are Better Than One
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
baker360360 said:
My brother had a black ghost knife in a 12 gal I took it into my 50gal before finding a shop to take it in. It was about 8"
Yikes! I'm glad you were able to take it and re-home it. Good job :)

baker360360

Reaction score
Ninjouzata said:
Yikes! I'm glad you were able to take it and re-home it. Good job :)
He was like why is it eating all my neons? I said because they can't run away lol

The tank was my old aqua nano 40 which is a 40cm x40cm

Search tags for this page

brown ghost knifefish size

chocolate ghost knife

chocolate ghost knife eel

trending

Staff online

Most reactions - Past 7 days