Cherry Shrimp With No Lid/DIY Lid Suggestions?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Pibbles

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello again, everyone!

I have a little 3.5 gallon tank I got at petsmart for twenty dollars. It comes with a little filter and the worldā€™s worst light. It is three tiny LEDS. One LED is blue, another red, and one is white. Clearly, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to grow anything in it. I am running a little experiment now though. Thereā€™s a small clump of Java moss in there, as well as two little buds off a tropica fern from a larger tank, and a handful of Amazon frogbit because I have too much of the stuff in my 60 gallon.

I just have a feeling in my gut that this stuff is going to die. So I was going to just trash the whole lid (which functions as the filter lid and the tank lid and houses the light) and get a clip-on light like maybe the Fluval nano clip-on. So if I do that, there wonā€™t be a lid on the tank. Would the cherry shrimp need a lid? Originally I had considered putting a betta in here, but I think five gallons is the minimum I am personally comfortable with, so there wonā€™t be a fish in there. Maybe some snails though.

If I do need a lid, any ideas on how to DIY one? Itā€™s an odd shape, a half-moon.

This is the tank, by the way
https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks...allon-enchant-aquarium-38392.html?cgid=300207

You can make a lid from a sheet of perspex (called plexiglass in some countries). Just cut it carefully to shape, then cut a notch for wires, the clip on light, filter etc. That's what I've done on my betta's tank.

You can make a lid from a sheet of perspex (called plexiglass in some countries). Just cut it carefully to shape, then cut a notch for wires, the clip on light, filter etc. That's what I've done on my betta's tank.

Oh! Good idea! If I can find any around me this may be a great solution.

Male shrimp have been known to escape in search of ladies. If you keep the water line about 1ā€ from the top, they canā€™t get out though.

Most hardware stores sell Perspex in sheets. It's not cheap but it can be cut with a hacksaw, jigsaw or even a Stanley knife (you slice it repeatedly until you cut through it).

Most hardware stores sell Perspex in sheets. It's not cheap but it can be cut with a hacksaw, jigsaw or even a Stanley knife (you slice it repeatedly until you cut through it).

Apparently my Loweā€™s carries it and can cut it for free! This is what I shall do then.

I have what I believe to be the same tank and there is the option for the vari colored lights or just white light. There are 2 separate switches on the power cord for the lid on my tank. One turns it off and on and the other is to choose between the colored lights and the plain white light. I use the white light most of the time. You have to choose each time you turn it on. It automatically comes on with the colored lights but I use the second switch to change it back.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back