Cherry Shrimp & Emperor Tetras

Mr Bliss

Fishaholic
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
461
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Finland
I have a 55g heavily planted tank currently populated by one female bristlenose and a school of happy emperor tetras (a bit too happy, as they keep reproducing uncontrollably. Luckily I can haul my excess tetras to my LFS). I've been thinking about adding cherry red shrimp to the tank, but I'm worried that the tetras will hurt them (or eat them, seeing as how they seem to try to eat anything I put in the tank, including any new plants, the zucchini I feed to my bristlenose, and my arms).

Does anyone have experience of keeping shrimp with emperors, or with other similar somewhat aggressive tetras? Should I opt for bigger, sturdier shrimp (ghost shrimp?) or just forget about them?
 
i kept cherrys with buenos aires tetras and they were fine if that helps. the ba tetra gets quite large and can be a nipper but never touched the shrimps. i kept about 50 cherrys then added 2 angels within 2 days all but the odd 1 has been eaten.............. :crazy: but before adding the angels i had dwarf gouramis, ba tetras, corys, platys, loaches all in with the shrimp and nothing touched them.
give them somewhere to hide that fish cant get like the shrimp breeding tubes or make your own coconut cave thats got holes small enough for shrimp but nothing else. this way they have somewhere to escape and hide/ breed and get away from the fish mouths..............
 

Most reactions

Back
Top