Cherry shrimp and nerite snails wanted

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I too could offer you some, but I'm not sure that Tyneside to Teesside is allowed yet, nor coming into my house to collect them. We could of course have a clandestine meeting somewhere and I could hand you a bag when no-one was looking :ninja:
I look forward to taking you up on that offer!

We could meet at a halfway house somewhere - or better - on a bridge! We will wear white carnations and carry a copy of HEAT! magazine, and identical Asda carrier bags (long life - think of the planet).

As a further security measure, we need a password . . . may I suggest the tried and true classic:

ME: You will never find hairs on a duck egg. You will always find hairs on an ape.

(To which you respond)

YOU: It is only the hairs on a gooseberry, that prevent it from being a grape.

We then check both ways and exchange bags - I get the shrimps (My Preciousssssssss) and you get a homemade banana tea loaf* and my undying gratitude. :nod:

*Or scones, if you prefer

Roll on the return to what passes for normality in the world.

Thanks! He’s on Java Moss. I really like how my Java Moss turned out. My cherries love it! :)
Java moss is one of the plants on my "to get" list! I'm even keener for some now. It's not very easy to source - I'll have send away for it I think.

Do you have a Maidenhead Aquatics near you? They are opening again, though with restrictions such as you have to stand 2 metres back from the tank while they catch your fish. But the ones near me do stock shrimps.

The trouble with buying on-line is that over night delivery is often several days at the moment.
I have a Maidenhead local to me and would recommend them if their other branches are run the same as my LFS!

I too could offer you some, but I'm not sure that Tyneside to Teesside is allowed yet, nor coming into my house to collect them. We could of course have a clandestine meeting somewhere and I could hand you a bag when no-one was looking :ninja:
Or you could leave them in a bag under a park bench, personally I'd just use a doorstep ;)

Java moss is one of the plants on my "to get" list! I'm even keener for some now. It's not very easy to source - I'll have send away for it I think.
Sounds good! You only need a little bit of it to start having a lot like me. I got a tiny bit from my LFS and it’s grown into this:
7B184957-04F5-4439-9A8A-0BD523B218DA.jpeg

(Note, that is a 29g tank, and it’s a lot of Java Moss) :nod:

My two snails (Jeremy and Corbyn) are doing an excellent job of cleaning the glass, but up to now haven't bothered with the algae on the rocks or plants (the plants are a MESS!). Will they instinctively move on to these other food sources?

If not, will I need to provide algae wafers?

My two snails (Jeremy and Corbyn) are doing an excellent job of cleaning the glass, but up to now haven't bothered with the algae on the rocks or plants (the plants are a MESS!). Will they instinctively move on to these other food sources?

If not, will I need to provide algae wafers?
I have BRH, MTS, and Nerite snails, so I have no problem. I always feed my snails a blanched cucumber or an algae wafer once every week.

Just a note, it won’t take long for a “few shrimp to develop in to 100 shrimp. :)
Thank you for the warning.

Is there any easy way to discern the sexes, and I can get only one or the other?

I notice PhoenixKing is able to sex his shrimps, but if it's complicated, then I'm going to be flummoxed. Also - do the fish eat baby shrimplets/ eggs etc?

They are quite easy to tell apart once they get to a certain size. You don't really need to worry about overstocking as they slow down once their numbers get up to an optimal level and they do have a fairly short lifespan.
Yes the fish will eat any shrimplets they can catch. Shrimplets are really good at hiding though so its only a problem if you have determined hunters.
My two snails (Jeremy and Corbyn) are doing an excellent job of cleaning the glass
Mark of respect or reference to their preferred habitat / eating habits? :rofl:. I'll get my coat...

I notice PhoenixKing is able to sex his shrimps, but if it's complicated, then I'm going to be flummoxed. Also - do the fish eat baby shrimplets/ eggs etc?
Yes, super easy to tell:
9E7FC4CD-A64C-45EC-93AE-DCEC62DB0F6B.jpeg

The one on the right (the bigger one) is a female. The one on the right (the smaller one) is a male.

The females are bigger and almost all red. The males (my sig picture) are a lot smaller and are sort of red but sort of clear.

The one on the right (the bigger one) is a female. The one on the right (the smaller one) is a male.
They can't both be on the right ;)

The female is on the left.

Females have deeper abdomens because that's where they carry their eggs between the swimmerets so they need more space.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back