Cheap Wine That Tastes Good....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

-germ-

Rheophilic....
Reaction score
You can never guess what your gonna get as you buy that bottle to de-stress after a hard days graft (ie. mooching on TFF). Why not make it easy for other fish lovers by making a recommendation....
Under £6 seems fair?

La Terre Rouge (tesco) £3.29-£3.99
You'll be surprised how easily this goes down, generic wine by all accounts but its had good reviews and its one of the best i've found for that sort of money

Van Loveren Rose (simply drinks, booze busters) £4.79
Be warned its made with the muscadet grape so may not be to everyones taste. I hate all things not red but love this, very floral, refreshing wine and not over-sweet.

Pata Negra 1995 (simply drinks, booze busters) £5.49
It was ages ago since i had this, can't remember if it was a tempranillo or what....
The shop near me has stopped stocking it, but the cheapest i have found it for elsewhere is £15.99 on the net. Unbelievable, if not an error on the company's part, but if you see it try a bottle and then buy as much as you can! Like liquid velvet :blush:

I'm embarassed now! Someone please post and not just to laugh at me!!!!!
Just thought it might be useful, thats all....

Oh and shout out to Miss Wiggles drink of choice
Lambrini (all stores) approx 50p
Its like fizzy fishwater with sugar in.
:drink:
Joke! Peas.....

pmsl cheeky get

i mostly drink any white zinfandel rose's particularly like the JP Chenet one which is normally about 4/5 quid in asda :good:

In my early college days I would drink Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill (apple wine) with my friends because it was cheap and it had the highest alcohol content for the brand. Now, whenever someone has a party, it's traditional for the host to have a few ($2.99) chilled bottles to pass. :D

I love how in the Wikipedia Boone's Farm article, Bum wine is listed under "See also". :lol:

Orvieto but only from ASDA is a nice sweet white wine ~ £4.
Cairn O' Mhor strawberry wine is delish but very sweet its ~ £5 in ASDA. I reccomend you put this in the freezer for a few hours so that when you pour it, it turns to slush. Mmmmmmm :drool:
Rose wine, I like Rivercrest which is ~ £4 in ASDA, also good in the freezer.

:drinks: :drink:

Cairn O' Mhor strawberry wine is delish but very sweet its ~ ?5 in ASDA. I reccomend you put this in the freezer for a few hours so that when you pour it, it turns to slush. Mmmmmmm :drool:

mmmm i'm gonna try that! :good:

call me a snob, but I struggle to find anything decent (I only drink red) for under 15 quid nowadays...

call me a snob, but I struggle to find anything decent (I only drink red) for under 15 quid nowadays...
I agree - for a decent (in my opinion) red I pay £15 ++ and for general (every day drinking :look: ) wine I spend around £10-£15. But there is the occasion when I get a nice surprise.
Recently went to a friend's and they were busy cooking. I know they generally spend a fair bit on wine so when I saw the bottle of wine in the kitchen and poured myself some (the bottle was open and on the kitchen counter) - little did I realise it was "cheap" wine they bought just for cooking. That said, I will admit it went down very well and I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was only £3.99 (at the time on special offer) - Waitrose do it for £5.69 a bottle now!
It's "Graham Beck Railroad Red Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon" and that in my opinion is a good value cheap plonk :good:

anyone make their own wine? £35 for 5 uk gallons of nice wine easily comparable to 8-12 quid supermarket bottles. (crikey just realised we must have a bottle a day, as it costs me £35 every month :)

My dad makes his own.
amoungst others he does dandilion wine, peach wine, and rice wine.
he did once make weetabix wine but that came out like moonshine :lol:

I went off red wines a bit last year and havent quite got the taste for them back yet but a nice white ive been drinking is Jacobs Creek Semilion Chardonay, its about £6 a bottle so doesnt break the bank and goes very well with fish, salads and barbecues.

Last year we was drinking a lot of Piat Doir Soft & Fruity French Red which is pretty much a basic cheap french table wine, it goes with absolutely anything and is light enough to have a couple of bottles of a Saturday lunch time without feeling crap all afternoon and can be drank at room temperature or chilled which is nice when its hot outside

a while since I made those sort of 'country wines'. Once made a sparkling strawberry wine from picked strawberries that was lovely (but the kitchen was an absolute mess). Now make it from kits all the usual grapes can be found (chardonnay, merlot, etc) between the wine and the fish I never stop moving water around

Humm, I'm not much of a drinker, I can't tell the difference between a "good" wine and a "bad" wine in a blind test, I'd be guessing.

The trick to guessing is, if it's red and strips all the saliva out of your mouth on the first hit, it probably cost fifteen or twenty quid.

So, now I have cited my wine drinking experience you probably won't want to take any notice of me, but - Morrison's have some nice ones for $3 a bottle, I use to fill up the wine rack with those, 6 white and 6 red every pay day (then my husband drank it over the course of two weeks) and that was ok wine.

Lambrini hurts your teeth.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back