Cheap Option For Co2?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Just been thinking then, once it's all set up how would the co2 actually be released from the fire extinguisher as they work on a trigger / handle system

Also would a soda stream bottle do the same job as a FE? Would that be a better option or more expensive etc?

Cheers

Just been thinking then, once it's all set up how would the co2 actually be released from the fire extinguisher as they work on a trigger / handle system

You are correct, they do work on a trigger/handle system but it can be cabled tied so its on continuously. This is where the solenoid comes into play as it can be turned off with this.
I've also seen people just use lots and lots of black tape.

There is no need to use tape. You can put the pin back in on UK FE's so they are constantly on.
Sodastream would work but is a far more expensive option.

Do I need a drop checker? What does it do / how does it work?
I'd advise you to get one, they normally attached to the glass and indicate how much CO2 is dissolved into the water. Important for making sure your not suffocating your fish and also keeping the CO2 from fluctuating. The only downside to them is they normally have a 2 hour delay so the result showing is from 2 hours ago but its not to hard to compensate for.

This is a brilliant thread, thanks for all of this info!

Can anyone tell me what size FE to get and how long it would last me? I've got a 180L tank, sorry if this is a stupid question I've not quite got my head around it all yet :)

Aaand one more, can't you get diffusers and bubble counters in one? Do you recommend having them separate vs together?

This is a brilliant thread, thanks for all of this info!

Can anyone tell me what size FE to get and how long it would last me? I've got a 180L tank, sorry if this is a stupid question I've not quite got my head around it all yet :)

i just got a brand new 5/6 kilo on ebay delivered for £22. only just fits in my cabinet lol

Man, the more I look into it the more questions I have lol - sorry!

What are the benefits of a ceramic vs glass diffuser thingy?
I am seeing pre-assembled kits for up to 150L for not much more than the price to put a kit together myself - could these be used in a 180L? When you factor in displacement...I imagine it just means you'd get through the canisters pretty fast :/

I am quite lazy by nature ya see ;)

Man, the more I look into it the more questions I have lol - sorry!

What are the benefits of a ceramic vs glass diffuser thingy?
I am seeing pre-assembled kits for up to 150L for not much more than the price to put a kit together myself - could these be used in a 180L? When you factor in displacement...I imagine it just means you'd get through the canisters pretty fast :/

I am quite lazy by nature ya see ;)

avnt a clue ha. ceramic id imagine would be more visible in the tank as iv never seen see through ceramic!

Yeah I prefer the look of glass to be sure, but have read about them breaking :/

Yeah I prefer the look of glass to be sure, but have read about them breaking :/
I'd go for ceramic/plastic as I've got through 4 glass difusers, they break so easily especially when trying to taking the tubing off. I'm currently using one a little like this one and its excellent. It's called an atomizer rather than a diffuser. Dunno what the technical difference is but it works brilliantly :good:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Agreed, I went through one glass one. Decided to go plastic and the amount of times ive dropped it cleaning it is unreal, it still works fine!

Most reactions

Back