Cheap Lighting

Doggfather

Al Bundy
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I'v got a 25 Gallon tank that needs lights. Since working at a supermarket, packing shelves and going to school don't give me too much money i'm looking for a cheap way to light the tank. :D

It's 2ft long, and i'm hoping to give it between 2 - 3 watts per gallon using fluro lights, or maybe even compact fluros :dunno: only condition is that the lights must plug into a power point, since i can't go drilling holes into the wall and connecting wire that way.

So, does anybody have any ideas/plans/suggestion/queries about this? -_-

Thanks for your help everyone :thumbs:

JeremyD

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hmmm....2 dual bulb 2ft shop lights......Run you about $8 a pop. With those you could easily get up to 4 watts per gallon if you wanted to.

OP
OP
D

Doggfather

Al Bundy
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hmmm....2 dual bulb 2ft shop lights......Run you about $8 a pop. With those you could easily get up to 4 watts per gallon if you wanted to.

Can you plug those into a power point?

spottedbovine

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
yeah u can, just need plug, tranformers (wattage normally print on them), fluoro bulbs and bulb connectors and a bit of aquarium silicone ( be carefull of electrics near water though)...............maybe ask an electrician for some help if u r not sure :thumbs:

JeremyD

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Doggfather said:

Can you plug those into a power point?
They have some different ones. The cheapest ones they have (I forget the brand name) do come with a cord all wired up. You just have to snap the endcaps in place, slide the cover on and insert the bulbs.

Max

Fish Addict
Reaction score
shoplights are what i used for my saltwater... about 8$ for an 18'' (made by GE) you need to buy a new bulb though it only coems witha 15W :/ still a heck of a lot cheaper

Most reactions

trending

Staff online