Channa Pulchra

jwddboy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Channa Pulchra - Finally became confident in the tank about a week ago.
Is eating Hikari Massivore and Prawns mainly
Soon to be moved to my show tank which is looking something like this - Click here for tank

The only editing I have done to this picture is removed the wood background.

Lovley isn't he :)

Pulchra.jpg

Thanks guys! Hard to get such a good photo.
He was showing off because he was a little hungry. :D

Hi thanks for all your comments.

As I'm sure most of you know, the import of Snakeheads (and a whole host of other fish) to the UK will pretty much without a doubt be made illegal by DEFRA in August of this year. This will probably mean a lot of other countries in the EU/world will be doing the same thing shortly after.

The problem is not, as most people think, a problem with them breeding in our waters as they will be much too cold for this to occur. The problem is however two viruses that the fish could carry. I believe these are EUS and EHN. To be found on page 30 of this DEFRA report:
[URL="http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/aquatic-ah/directive-2006-088.pdf"]http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...ve-2006-088.pdf[/URL]

Because of this I urge anyone who has the space and time to import these fish and begin trying to breed to do so now. For a start, it will be very profitable as they will become very rare and demand high prices, moreover, it will enable the UK Snakehead trade to not dry up. With specimens so amazing as this one, you must agree that this type of fish should not become an unobtainable species.

Just remember Pulchra are not Tropicals from what ive read they are subtropical so require a cool down period like a number of the other species, simulating cold water run off from the mountain streams.

Just remember Pulchra are not Tropicals from what ive read they are subtropical so require a cool down period like a number of the other species, simulating cold water run off from the mountain streams.

Ah. You raise an interesting point. I have also heard this and it is true that this fish was discovered in cooler streams. However after considerable research and talking to an importer I know well, who did some enquiries on my behalf, we have discovered that this fish is also found in much hotter, unmoving water, much like many other snakehead species which can be found in everything from lakes to streams to irrigation channels.

It is of my oppinion that all snakehead species survive well in a range of water temperatures, parameters and with different ammounts of water movement. However, the fish pictured here is going to provide the basis of the first ever official in depth care and information profile on this fish to be written by a friend of mine. I am in the process of trying to aquire another of the species and a Channa Ornatipinnis to help with this article. I believe this snakehead to be one of the oldest ones in the country and I am actively talking to other owners of these fish to confirm my findings.

From my findings however, snakeheads in general like fast currents. I keep them in a range on temperatures from 23degC to 27degC in different tanks with varying amounts of surface aggitation. These fish seem to feed well at all of these temperatures and certainly feed better with faster water than with a slower circulation. Surface aggitation is not paramount to these fish as they are able to breathe from the surface but it does often increase or at least change flow within the tank which they do appreciate. The ones I own have never attacked another fish. The tank that houses the Pulchra has 2 super-large cannister filters operating at full power and slightly varying heat due to one of the heaters being on a timer that turns it off at night. this keeps the temp around 23-25degC during the day and 22-23degC during the night.

Very pretty :)

The trouble with SHs is that even when you can find them prices can be so extortionate you'd have to have a lot of spare cash even for one, let alone a group for breeding. Even common ones like bleheri and gachua are £20 each or so; the new species like pulchra and ornatipinnis are even more...

Very pretty :)

The trouble with SHs is that even when you can find them prices can be so extortionate you'd have to have a lot of spare cash even for one, let alone a group for breeding. Even common ones like bleheri and gachua are £20 each or so; the new species like pulchra and ornatipinnis are even more...

That is true. I have seen these being sold for hundreds of pounds. This one however was £18! :D

Ah. You raise an interesting point. I have also heard this and it is true that this fish was discovered in cooler streams. However after considerable research and talking to an importer I know well, who did some enquiries on my behalf, we have discovered that this fish is also found in much hotter, unmoving water, much like many other snakehead species which can be found in everything from lakes to streams to irrigation channels.

It is of my oppinion that all snakehead species survive well in a range of water temperatures, parameters and with different ammounts of water movement. However, the fish pictured here is going to provide the basis of the first ever official in depth care and information profile on this fish to be written by a friend of mine. I am in the process of trying to aquire another of the species and a Channa Ornatipinnis to help with this article. I believe this snakehead to be one of the oldest ones in the country and I am actively talking to other owners of these fish to confirm my findings.

From my findings however, snakeheads in general like fast currents. I keep them in a range on temperatures from 23degC to 27degC in different tanks with varying amounts of surface aggitation. These fish seem to feed well at all of these temperatures and certainly feed better with faster water than with a slower circulation. Surface aggitation is not paramount to these fish as they are able to breathe from the surface but it does often increase or at least change flow within the tank which they do appreciate. The ones I own have never attacked another fish. The tank that houses the Pulchra has 2 super-large cannister filters operating at full power and slightly varying heat due to one of the heaters being on a timer that turns it off at night. this keeps the temp around 23-25degC during the day and 22-23degC during the night.

Pascal and friends in Germany have bred Pulchra and from rumours also bred Ornatipinnis both had cool times and temp drops in their tanks...so i think id give it a go in tropical and if any issues arise possibly do a cool down period. But good luck, i missed the oppertunity for 6 Pulchra a while back...so am always on the lookout for some :)

The pulchra are indeed a very pretty channa, i have 4 and i am hoping to breed them when they mature.

I saw these at wharf aquatics the other day, and i thought they looked nice, then i saw the price and nearly fell over, i cant remember how much is was but it was alot for a fish of that size. Lovely fish though.

beautiful

how big do they grow? I only ask as I thought all snakeheads were massive apart from Bleheri and this I've seen descibed as dwarf snakehead?

Most reactions

Back