Channa Gachua Snakehead!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Far2lively

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi again people!! Just wondering if anyone know how big channa gachua get?? If well fed ect I have looked online and all the sizes vary from 10cm right up to 30cm does anyone know an exact size?? Or there abouts thanks!!

3 feet for the bigger ones.

Nah, Channa Gachua USUALLY max out at around 8".
There are a few variants that will get a little bigger.
I had a Royal Blue that clocked in almost 12", but there is no way they will get bigger.

Mine was sold to me as a royal blue hopefully it will get to 12inch that's a perfect size :) for me, how long do they take to get that big?? Do you have any pics??

yeah 8" is usually the max for gachua although my male malaysian black fin has reached "10 :)

Mine was sold to me as a royal blue hopefully it will get to 12inch that's a perfect size :) for me, how long do they take to get that big?? Do you have any pics??

Here it is at around 8" in size as a youngster.

DSC01129.JPG

12" is a couple of years. And to get there you will need a decent sized tank.

Very nice!! What size tank?? Is 180litre enough?? What did you feed it I'm feeding mine large shell less shrimp, hikari massivore and other foods, the water temp is at 25degrees and there are plenty of plants ect in the tank

As with all my Channa, the diet consists of Hikari Massivore, Shrimp, chopped Waka Sagi (a local lake fish) and occasional CLEAN worms.

As for tank size, yes 180l will be enough as long as it is a species only tank (i.e. ONLY Channa Gachua Royal blue)

That's exactly what I feed them :) apart from the local chopped fish and there is a common pleco in there aswell and a redtailed shark does this matter? I know you have told me before to keep them in species only tanks so I got rid of the other fish to friends and stores ect, can't sell the pleco or redtail yet though :(, he's looking very nice though ill have to upload some pics soon when I get a camera, @pyrofishtoo why are they illegal in canada?? They have to be the best fish I've ever kept!!! :)

Gachua should be fine with the plec and the red tailed shark. Channa are always best kept in a species only tank but in my experience they do fine in community tanks. They are the ones which normally get bullied not do the bullying.

Gachua should be fine with the plec and the red tailed shark. Channa are always best kept in a species only tank but in my experience they do fine in community tanks. They are the ones which normally get bullied not do the bullying.

Not always the case, and in particular, these Royal Blue (From my observations) are rather aggressive for a Gachua complex.
When I had a pair form from a group of 3, I added the 3rd to a tank holding a Young (around the same size) Parachanna Africana, and A slightly smaller Polypterus Weeksii.
The Channa ripped them both to shreds within days.

...Just a warning.

Most reactions

Back